Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have any negative experiences from L5-S1 Micro-D?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I will be having a microdiscectomy in 5 days...I wish it was tomorrow!!! As I write this msg, the pain is throbbing, burning and tightening throughout my entire right leg from the top of my butt to my big toe. I've been reading all good things on the website about this surgery but I also want to hear if anyone has had any negative reactions to this surgery. It's good to hear all the good stuff but I just need to know if there's any bad stuff too!

• With my first MicroD, I did not know that coughing/sneezing can re-herniate your disc. Well....my allergy symptoms came on and three days of sneezing undid my surgery.

The surgery itself was simple and almost pain-free except at the incision site.

I had 2nd MicroD after 3 weeks of the first one and I am Day 10 postOp. I feel pretty good. My recovery has been pretty smooth. They had to cut into the same incision site, but did not cause any problems. I was sore for few days. Presently I can roll off the couch without pain. I do have slight burning sensation which I was told is part of healing process.

Overall, I am doing great.

Just be careful during your recovery because your back is very fragile right after surgery. Follow your doctor's order to the T.
  • I just had one yesterday morning..L-5 S-1 I'll tell ya, i feel soo much better. My leg pain is gone! I am on strong meds but I really think this did the trick . I was scared shi**ess,but in retrospect,gald I did it. My throat is still sore and dont have total voice due to breathing tube but all in all, feel real good.

good Luck to you !
  • My first back surgery was a micro-d and it was nothing like the doctor said it would be. I woke up in severe pain and the sciatica was still there. I was told that the nerve was swollen and inflamed and it would take some time to heal. I was released after 3 days. They wanted me to stay at the rehab wing but I refused. At home I had a tough time, and then all of a sudden the pain became excrutiating. We went back to the surgeon and he ordered a post op MRI which showed I reherniated at 4 weeks and had nerve compression. I went through 2 post op epidural injections but 6 months later I had a 2 level fusion done.

I hope you do have a positive experience and that you recover completely from this surgery. Don't forget that there are many success stories out there and many have left SH to go on to live normal lives. Take care