Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another Discogram question

pammieppammie Posts: 79
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had a 4 level discogram this morning and it was extremely painful. The Dr. had to remove and reinsert the needle at L2-L3 and then reposition it a couple of times as it was too painful to leave it where it was at. I had pain at 2 levels although one wasn't too bad and wasn't the same as my normal pain. L4-L5 seems to be the disc that is causing me all of my issues. I am in much more pain than I was before the test which my Dr. told me to expect. I have been given some stronger pain meds than what I normally take. About how long should I expect to deal with this increased pain? Other than ice and keeping on top of my pain pills, is there any other advice any of you can reccomend to make it a bit more bearable or speed the "recovery" process? Thanks.

• It was about two days later after my discogram that the pain died back down to the usual level. I had the great experience of having the needle repositioned several times too. It was hard for me to really figure out which one cause the most pain after they hit one that did. Seemed like after that it all just hurt. Afterwards, I was wheeled out into the hallway and left alone while waiting for a few minutes for the CT scan and I just boo-hooed. The CT scan guy came out to get me and was trying to be comforting. I was hurting like I'd just had a baby or something...cramping and my legs buzzing and all of that. Whew! I never want another one of those tests!

Just rest and use a heating pad and take the meds. Drink lots of fluids too...that washing out the dyes. Ice didn't help me, but heat did. I feel for you and hope your pain goes back down very soon!!! Maybe today you are feeling some better?

• I was also crying during the procedure. I had a really great nurse that was holding my hand and wiping my tears. What a sweetheart she was.

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I was sick to my stomach for most of the morning so I didn't take in as much fluids as I should have, but I am really pushing them this evening. I am feeling a bit better today and am really hopeful for tomorrow. Thanks for your response!
This discussion has been closed.