Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please any help I'm in a Panic tonight

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All,

I usually don't panic and I am used to all this crap but the last two nights have been h&*^. I know how PT works. I have gone through it so many times before but this is so different. Last night I felt like someone literally had a blow torch to my back the burning nerve pain was so intense. I was like how animals get when they pace and don't know what to do with pain (and I'm used to pain). What is really concerning me guys is the neurological symptoms today and this evening. I have had numbness in my toes and on and off in my calf throughout the last 5 plus years, that is normal for me. This is my whole foot it wraps around my ankle too. It is really frightening me. Anyone have any idea's. It feels like someone is cutting off circulation to my foot from my ankle down. Could PT be too intense? They have this idea no bending forward just backward for now. New idea there?

Sorry to dump on you all, but I could use some idea's or if anyone has gone through it after fusion. Thanks take care everyone. To pain free days and restful nights.

• I'm sorry you are experiencing so much pain. I would agree with Paul's advice regarding PT. I don't know exactly what you mean by "bending backward" but it sent up a red flag to me! I would be concerned that you are doing too much and perhaps, questionable things in PT.

Once you have a lower lumbar fusion, I was under the impression that it was never a good idea to do anything that puts the back in extension. It puts too much strain on the adjoining vertebrae.

I had a fusion at L4-5 15 months ago, and to this day, every time I have to lay flat, like when I go to acupuncture or massage therapy, it takes my spine several minutes to adjust to the position. Something (muscles?) protests a bit, but "things" eventually adjust and then I'm OK.

Did you try icing your back last night? Does it have any effect?
  • The first thing that struck me really wrong that you said is "they have you bending backward?" You've got to be kidding!!! I had a 3 level fusion a year ago, and go through a lot of PT, and bending backward is an absolute "no-no"!!! I am amazed by that!!! I wouldn't do it, it's as simple as that, I'd tell them they were "nuts"!!! I can't even lay on my belly for any length of time, and I really don't believe I ever will again!!. It's a drag for sunbathing, lol:) I just put the tan spray back there, he, he...

Anyway, I would suggest getting a different PT that totally knows how to work with a (fusion?) patient? They do sometimes mistakenly give us a wrong therapist, they're not perfect. Our surgeons don't even want us bending forward, much less backward????

No wonder you have new pains. STOP doing it!!
  • Stop going to this PT immediately and discuss their approach with your surgeon especially the bending backwards part! That is something I have never heard being done so make sure all of your doctors are aware of wheat hey are doing in PT.
  • Lisa, heed the above advice in all respects: call your Doc, discuss your concerns & new pain, etc and DON'T DO ANY EXTENSION (bending backward) exercises!! Period! Just b/c your PT has you doing this doesn't make it "correct"...at only 4 months out, you are still very fragile in there...

My NS didn't even OK PT for me after my fusion. Said to just walk, gently stretch (GENTLY) & rest as much as possible. It takes a full year or more to heal & you want to build your core muscles, of course, & you can do that w/o bending at all....

Stop bending backwards! (Sorry to be so firm!:)) But extension is the worst thing you can do after a fusion. Bending fwd may be OK later on, but my NS said "NO BLT'ing" for a full 6 months after my PLIF...& to never go into extension, probably forever now.

Hope you are better today...ice it, rest & let us know how things are going.

• Everyone,

Thanks so much for your input. I did absolutely nothing at all today. I am so afraid that I have caused some problems now. I just don't understand...how is it this place that is so recommended Dynamics can have a theory that is so different than every other place. They want to start me on a medex machine next week. I have gone back, pain wise and this numbness I have never had in all of the years I have had problems. It is the weekend and I really don't want to bother my NS so I will wait (he wasn't in today) until Monday to ask him. I have a feeling it is just common sense, he is going to say stop all therapy. He was not thrilled with me starting anyway. I pushed for it, he said he would order the cat scan and see if I was fused first only then could I do therapy. I was just eager to get my life going again it is going on almost 6 years now. I feel like I am watching my life just float by. Everyone else is living their lives but me.

Anyway thank you all for your opinions I will back off. I just hope I haven't caused any damage now. I wonder if I can go someplace else for therapy now that they have my script. I only went two times. I hope so. Very discouraged at this point. ~X(

Thanks guys how is everyone else? BTW Khumph, the discogram was nasty wasn't it? Not a fan at all. Actually, I didn't like the myelogram either.

Warmly, >:D<