Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello everyone, advice needed!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone im K, have a bit of a long story so here it comes:

Had a bad back as long as i can remeber found out when i was 21 that i have mild scoliosis. Went to a hospital had a raise put in my shoe and started physio. After a couple of weeks of physio went to work (im a postie) and something went in my lower back, could not work, major pain so went docs got told i had slipped a disc. After seven weeks of traction was ok to go back to work.

Went back to work within hours my back went again. Went back gp's disc gone again. The pain this time is worse than the first started with pain down side and back of my left leg with a numb foot. I now have pain down both legs they keep going cold and every now and then feel as though someone is pooring hot water down them.Went to docs last week to talk about more painkillers and ask why my left knee and ankle keeps swelling? got told that is not normal. However i am too young for it to be anything serious.Later that day i felt like i did a disc higher up in my back. Went back docs took diazapam again and it seemed to ease off a bit. But i keep going dizy followed by either going really hot or really cold then either feeling or being sick.

Is this normal feel like the pain is getting worse every day but no one is taking me seriously.

Any advice would be greatly apprieciated feel like im lossing my mind have been like this for four months now.I know there are lots out there much worse off than me but cant help but moan :-)

PS Sorry bout the bad spelling.

• I dont feel what your Experiencing but I can relate to nobody understanding the Pain your In. I was in severe Pain and nobody could understand why it only occured when I lie down or got up from laying down. I would suggest that you Be Patient and make another appt with your Dr. in a couple of weeks to explain the Pain your In Again. Ask for more Test to be done. An EMG or something that may Test your Nerves. If your Dr. dosn't take you seriously ask for another Dr.
    I hope you find the help you need just Be patient and keep researching your Symptoms until you find Answers. Trust your Body too. If it gets real Bad go to the Emergency Room right Away. Hope it all works out for you.....
  • cheers for the advice gonna go see someone on tue have a good chat about things.
  • Also cheers for the advice. hope you too find some help.
  • Did you have an MRI? I've had swelling and pain down mostly one leg at first when I found out that I herniated a disc I thought the swelling would never leave but after a few months my leg and foot have been brought down to normal size. Is phsyio to rough for you? Do you have an Ortho Dr or Neuro? Or a pain mangement Dr could help with meds or treatment. I had lyrica and muscle relaxers but valium is a good muscle relaxer but if it makes you dizzy let your Dr know to adjust the dosage. I took valium for a whiplash for 9 months and it helped me get through the days. I had to insist on an MRI from my Dr as she thought it was just a muscle problem. I'm an RN so I thought to tell her but we have a good relationship as her being my Dr for 17 years. Try heat 20 minutes twice day or ice your legs the end of your work. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I totally understand the fact that doctors and other people sometime do not understand or believe for that fact, that your in pain. I have literally had my doctor refuse me pain meds, to the point I almost changed doctors. Then on 2nd MRI, walla, L4-L5 herniated. No wonder I was hurting so doggone bad. Doctor totally changed his tune, except he is wanting me to have epidural injections. I am not 100% sold on this idea, as I have read way too many posts about agonizing pain after. I think I will wait it out a little, and maybe look into laminectomy surgery instead. Has anyone been through both and what would your suggestion be? I would love to hear your ideas and suggestions.
  • Hi guys thanks for your advice and support. Doc's refuse to even do a scan becuase im so young (22) they say they will only do a scan if considering surgery and again due to my age they not going to even consider it.
    Cant understand it though im sure with physio twice a week your supposed to get better not worse!
    My aunt had the same problem with nothing higher up and with pain down just one leg and within months she was down for an op and now she is loads better. not saying i want an op just want someone to understand what pain im in. The way the doc's talk to me is like i am a kid and it cant be that bad so just shut up and put up.
  • If a doctor isn't taking you seriously, you should certainly go and find another. Not only is your diagnosis being postponed, it's your time being wasted as well. Hopefully you'll find a doctor with an open mind and is ready to listen so that he can see the big picture while others have not connected the dots. No one wants to be in pain without knowing what is causing it and you deserve to get this problem figured out. Hang in there and don't lose faith- things will work out if you have patience and perseverance. Take care
  • Too young? That's crazy, you would naturally assume the younger you are, the stronger you are, and the higher chance you have (if you get the correct diagnosis) of getting better/staying better LONGER without having to take more extreme measures! Get as many opinions as you need until 2 or 3 doctors are in agreement AFTER they run tests!

• What type of work do you do that would cause your back to go out within hours of returning to work?

I am surprised that the doctor didn't order an xray at the very least. When is the last time you went to the doctors? You said you have been in pain for 4 months, so I am just curious. I would find a new doctor who will take you seriously. I have had the pain you describe down my right leg and my foot was numb for a few weeks. The pain was caused by a loose disc fragment pressing against my nerve. I've had two surgeries since the initial leg pain a few months ago. I'm doing ok now.

I hope that you find a doctor who will order a test to determine the cause of your pain.
  • Hi not sure how to respond to each person individually sorry.

To meydey321:
    Gonna give it one more try with my current doc as i have an appointment with her tommorrow. If that doesnt help gonna try someone else, hard to be reassured when i feel like their guessing whats wrong. Thank you take care too :-)

To jusserfinn:
    Does feel a little patronising when they say it but who am i to question them. Cheers for the advice.

To Pepper09:
    I am a postwomen had arranged with my boss to be on light duties when i went back but got dumped in right at the deep end. He didn't stick to a single word he said.
    The last time i saw my doc was last monday as i've said above got next apointment tomorrow. Good to hear your feeling ok :-)
  • I have had a bad lower back for almost 20 years. I've had about all the treatments imaginable. The epidurals I received did not cause any major pain afterwards...in fact, I did get a bit of relief from them; however, the relief was very short-lived. I also had a microdiscectomy in 1990 at L5-S1. Gave me great relief for 10 years. Then, I jumped into a swimming pool feet first and you guessed it...there went my back again. I again went through the epidural shots, facet joint shots, and now I have a morphine pump. None of it works. I'm still in pain and searching for the "magic" cure. Guess what? There is none. You just have to try everything and anything you can short of surgery. I always believe that surgery is your LAST option because 90% of the time, surgery isn't a cure-all either. Some are even worse after surgery!!
    Hope you get some relief after you make your decision about what to do. It's your body so don't let anyone tell you what is best for you. YOU need to make that decision.
    Let us know what you decide and how you are doing. We care.
This discussion has been closed.