Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trigger Point Injections

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I asked about this before but in my post about PT so maybe someone who had them will see this.

I have had really bad muscle knots in my neck & traps for years. When I sat around doing absolutely nothing I did't have pain but even day to day activities made the pain flare up. Over the last year it got really bad to the point that even eating sitting at a table would trigger the pain. I was getting massage weekly & using heat but nothing helped. I did some research & read about trigger points. So went to my doc hoping for some info. That was when i had the MRI (thought it would be completely negative) & you know the rest of the story.

I didn't think that the surgery would fix those symptoms. Knots don't just go away after being there for 5-6 yrs. I just didn't want to be paralyzed! So even though I consider my surgery a complete success so far (neuro symptoms are much better) I still have to deal with that pain which hasn't been too bad while I've been recovering(taking it easy). Today it came back with a vengeance! I felt great when I woke up even though I didn't sleep much last night. I walked 4 miles without a problem. Came home & rested for a while. Then I took my shower, washed/dried my hair & washed my lunch dishes(very little). After that I was in agony. I took a flexeril & a percocet(1st pills of the day) put some moist heat on & relaxed. Staring to feel better now.

So does anyone have an opinion on trigger point injections or anything else that may help once I'm cleared by my surgeon? I am so happy that the surgery went well & I want to get myself back to work & regular activities without pain.

Thanks for reading this long winded post. Have a great day!

• I've had trigger point injections but I haven't had surgery. I had 8 weeks of 8 trigger point injections but they did little to help. I went for facet joint injections that helped much better. But if your Dr recommended them give them a try, they elongate the muscle if you have knots. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    good luck with Trigger point injections. I cant tell you how many I have had over the past 15 years, but in the past 2 years they have helped me get over flare ups in my neck, thoracic and lumbar areas, so I am pretty happy with trigger points.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have suffered from severe trigger points for years. By severe I mean the kind that are so intense they cause muscle spasms that then pull ribs out of their sockets. You know the guy that cut his own arm off to free himself while climbing? He wasn't worried about starving to death. He just thought his trigger points were going to flare up! -That has to be a bad joke. Any joke that includes cutting ones own arm off must be distasteful. I seem to be lacking in not only humor but decorum. :) Back to the subject...

I have found that Physical Therapy has helped, Trigger Point massage has helped but the only lasting solution -lasting- is to stretch out the muscle. To say, stretch out the muscle, is really a huge understatement. Let me be honest. I have managed to eliminate tigger points only after months of stretching and then only when I can do the particular stretch like I did when I was 18. It seems to me that the trigger points are deep in the muscles and they never come out until the muscle is stretched to that level of near perfection or ideal length. For example, a particular low back point kept returning until I was able to sit on the floor, feet out in front of me, bend forward and touch my nose to my knees. To me that is amazing flexiblity! So I'm trying to now adjust my thinking, my self image, so that I see that level of flexibility as normal, expected, and needed.

Barring that level of stretching I think the next best option is finding a great trigger point massage therapist. It only seems to work for a few months but it does give relief. Whether it works or not all seems to depend on the particular therapist. Maybe you could try a new massage therapist or some Physical Therapists do it also. I've never tried the injections. I don't like things that come in needles :)

• Just wanted to thank you. I was given another referral for Physical Therapy today. I am not excited to go at it again and be in more pain or have no help. But to hear it has helped you gives me a ray of hope. I have been to see this PT before and I think I'll ask her about stretching more. Sounds easy enough with work. Beats needles and more pills.
    Thank you,
  • I wish you all the best of luck Dee.

The most important thing I learned about stretching is to just go slow and relax. I always had it in my mind that the goal was to try and stretch but that really isn't the right goal to have in mind. What works better is to just move to the edge of the muscle tension and relax into it. The stretching that results just happens on its own.
    Long stretching worked for me, that is simply stretching for several minutes instead of say 30 seconds. Dynamic stretching also worked better for somethings. Dynamic stretch is like doing a movement and as the minutes pass and you are doing the movement or exercise you reach a little more, slowing expanding your range of motion over time.

And don't forget to breathe!
  • I went to my first P.T. appointment yesterday. while I was on back and she was feeling around back of head neck and shoulder upper back areas. she mentioned about all the tightness and knots and while she was doing this I could feel them sorta. she said she could help me alot with these and they where probably what is causing some of my pain. I did feel a bit of pain or pressure when she rubbed them.
    Just thought I would throw in my experience.
    Joann(R.N.)My surgery was Feb 4th. When was yours? I forget, before or after mine?......Patsy
  • My surgery was March 30. I'm cleared to start PT for ultrasound & massage. Moving right along.... :D
  • your neck looks wonderful, I cant even figure out where your scar is for sure. mine is much more noticeable,and kinda bubbles out.Patsy
  • Hello-

I got initiated into the world of pain and trigger points this past February. I'm 47. C5-C6 herniation was the MRI result . Thankfully no spine impingement (my sympathies to those above who have). Was in PT with massage, electrostim and some other things but it didn't do much to help. On lyrica. Tingling in arm and hand pretty constant since then but some of the more severe symptoms of hand and arm swelling and pain have lessened just by not doing as much of the aggravating activities. Doctors recommend surgery. I don't want to.

Was curious if anyone experienced myofascial bubbles? Most people talk about myofascial knots- little pea size hardballs (which I have as well). But I have experienced what feels like large masses of bubble like tissue. In the middle of the night I was able to literally deflate puffy mass under my arm. I swear several times after trigger deflation I felt a liquidy residue after!

Generally self-massage techniques where I gently push on the trigger point, let it push back then push a bit more removes it. The problem is they grow back like weeds.
  • Worked for me. I love trigger point injections. I used to get them from an Orthopedic doctor who owned a sports clinic. He helped a lot of athletes. I'm no athlete, but they really helped me. He'd do them right in his office. I'd lay down on my tummy. He'd mark the spots where the injections would go. He'd have marks all over my upper back and even into my head. They used to take my pain away completely. That was before my pain went to a higher level, much higher.
  • Hi,

I started trigger point injections about 7 weeks ago with wonderful results. I also started on topomax at the same time and warm, pool therapy. I get weekly injections ( between 15 and 25) of lidocaine into the side of my neck, the side of my thoraic spine, my trap. muscles, the trigger points along my shoulder blade, under my arm- wing(as they call it) & my shoulder. The needles are not bad at all. I would call them just uncomfortable. They are NOTHING like ESI's or Facet Blocks! The numbing meds give an almost immediate relief, and then a bit later you get a sense of release from your muscles. It feels like a "letting go". I hope that you can understand my description. I then get an extended relief for about 4 days as I am able to move more, etc. I then use lidoderm patches to hold me off until the next set of injections. They certainly don't work as well as the injections, but they help a bit.
    The main reason that I have tried this type of therapy was to try to not have to increase my fentanyl patch. I have been on it since October with great results until my body got used to it. I did not want to increase the dosage as the next patch is double. I wish someone had told me a long time ago about these trigger point injections. I know that everyone is different, and every body responds differently. I just hope that this treatment lasts for me and helps to keep me from increasing the patch and maybe even helps to get me off of it. I also hope that sharing this experience might help someone else!!!
    One strange thing I noticed. I was researching the trigger point injections and reading other posts about them on here. There are many different methods of delivering them!!!! I found that to be very strange. Some people get numbed a bit before the main injection is administered. Some people only get one area done at a time. I just get direct injections of lidocaine one right after the other.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Best Wishes!!