Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie- 1 week postop

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all,
My name is Jean and I recently had an ALIF of L4-5, L5 S1. My first problems surfaced almost 15 years ago when it was discovered the two discs were bulging. It became something I just got use to until this year when an updated MRI showed the lower disc was almost deteriorated to nothing and the one above was herniated completely. The doctors I was seeing wanted to continue with injections and I decided I needed a second opinion. My new doctor listened to my pain and concerns and gave me options for treatment.
I would love to hear from anyone who has had this procedure- any advice what to do as I heal, what to expect, etc.
I hope everyone out there is feeling better soon and look forward to talking with you all.
All my best,

• Hi Jean and welcome to Spine Health.

I had ALIF L5-S1 on 7/1/08. The first 2 weeks were the worst for me. I stayed out on my couch for that time as it was hard to get up and down during that time. The incision pain got better after that time. I wore a soft flexible brace they gave me in the hospital for my incision for about 2-3 months as it helped support my stomach and the incision site. Did you get a support brace for your incision? I also got a hard brace for my back that I had to wear for a bit. I didn't like that one though it was pretty uncomfortable.

How is your incision healing? Do you feel better as far as the back pain being fixed from surgery? Did you have any issues with nerve pain before/after surgery.

One of the worst things for me my 1st week was not being able to have a bowel movement. Be sure you get lots of fiber and take laxatives and/or stool softeners if this becomes a problem.

My best advice to offer you is to follow all your docs restrictions, don't over do it, listen to your body and rest when you need to. Watch out for anything that involves BLT (bending, lifting or twisting).

Please feel free to PM me with any questions, comments or concerns you may have.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck on your recovery. :D we are always here to listen. Jenny :)