Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post nerve block injection, need feedback...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
The evening of the injection (Thursday) I was in a good amount of pain, mostly at the site of the injection in my neck and I could still feel some pressure in my neck like the needle was still there. Over the last 48 hours I have still had on and off numbness and tingling in my left arm and hand like I did before the injection. I have also still had pain in my shoulder blade and neck around the C7 area where they blocked the nerve. I know that the steroid doesn't work right away but I am curious to know just what symptoms are supposed to be relieved by these injections?
I have still needed to take some pain meds to get through the days.
The doctor who performed the injection also noticed that my C7 nerve was very inflammed due to the herniation of my C7 disc. When he injected the steroid an electrical shock went up and down my left arm to the point where I yelled when it happened. He said I may feel something like you would when you hit your funny bone...that was no funny bone hit.
When they got done with the injection and sat me up I just started to cry my eyes out. I felt so weak, I just had a lousy injection but for some reason I just lost it, everything that had been boiling up in me over the last 2 years of the problem just came out when I realized I just had to have a needle shoved in my neck! Thankfully the doctors assistant who was in there with me was a VERY sweet man who sat with me and comforted me and didn't make me feel like a loser who couldn't keep her composure.
Anyone have any feedback on if these injections helped or didn't help and if they didn't what other options other than meds, PT, traction and injections were there for you? All I have is a simple herniation of my C7, nothing as horrible as many of you have had and I have not had surgery for anything...but this pain is getting rediculous.
I also have been noticing more and more of a grinding noise in my neck when I move it. There is no pain associated with it but when I move it in any direction it sounds like something is grinding in there. I'm also thinking of a second opinion, I wasn't too blown away by my doctor but I'm not sure how much my insurance company (Aetna) will allow me to do.
Everything just seems like its a mess right now and I'm sorry if this post is all over the place but it's all over the place in my head too.

• first, welcome to spine health! i'm glad you found us!
    second, take a deep breath, ok,slow down for just a second (yeah, i know its hard)getting everything out helps!

now, steroid injections can feel awful for a few days before they start to help...try to apply ice to your neck to ease some of the swelling from the injections.

it's ok to cry knowing that you've just had someone shoving needles into your neck!--or anywhere else in your spine! it's all pretty scarey stuff!

second opinions are always a good thing! early is good too. when in doubt, trust your gut...you know your body, not the doctor.

keep in mind, i'm not a doctor tho...just another spiney...
    take care,good luck, and keep us posted!
  • After I had my epidural and facet joint injections on Wedneday April 8th, I don't know why I was crying after then the PM Dr wondered if I might need a Psychologist to talk to next time. I said maybe I'll talk to someone but I think my husband should go also. I also had that grinding noise in my spine before the PM Dr notice I needed facet joint injection but the grinding is mostly gone. At least now the facet joints aren't scraping to gether or locking up. It's a little painful after the injections maybe it's the steroids that do something. But after the injections I never cry at home mostly.I think the epidurals cause the teariness. Good luck I hope the pain subsides, Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have had them over a several year period and they have worked well. Never had any issues or side effects etc.. I found the trick like most medical issues is to get the right Dr.. I went into my local surgery center to make the appt. for the first one I was going to have and ran into a nurse that works at the center in the hallway. Kind of planned on my part. Asked her who was the best and believe me the nurses know. She didn't hesitate to give me the name of a Dr.. He's been the best. He actually went off my insurance for awhile so he cut me a deal and I paid him direclty. The insurance still picked up the surgery center. If you have the right Dr. it's worth it.