Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First lumbar epidural steroid injection

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:30 AM in Spinal Injections
Greetings
I had my 1st injection yesterday, and stumbled upon this forum while trying to better understand my condition and options. I was diagnosed with "facet disease"....L5 I think was what they told me. Anyway, it was explained to me that I had severe arthritis. Ive had a great deal of pain for 3 months now, from my lower back, running down my left leg. I finally gave up and went for the MRI, hence the diagnosis.
My injection went well and I have been moving about today some. Kinda sore at the point of injection and Ive had a couple of bad moments of pain, but I have felt better. As I understand it, hopefully the results will continue to improve over the next few days. They want me to have a total of 3 injections, a week apart from each other. One thing I noted from reading posts here was that some talked about the use of a fluoroscope in the injection process? Thats was not used in my process :SS
and now Im somewhat concerned. Actually, when it came time for my injection, I was placed in and upright siting position on the side of the bed and simply given the injection. Does this sound right to any of you? It went ok....no issues afterwards and I felt relief as soon as it was done. But now....Im left wondering how they knew what they were doing if this instrument was not used. Ok....it makes me a little paranoid...lol.
Anyway, I plan to post my continued experiences here so that it may benefit others.
Best wishes to all of you here for relief of your suffering.
Regards
Scotty
advertisement

Comments

• Thanks for the reply Jane....btw, Im in TN as well!
  • It is a good idea to use a fluoroscope, but women in childbirth have epidurals without it all the time so hopefully everyone is ok from doing so. However when I had a spinal analgesia for my c-section he hit a nerve because I have scar tissue. So if you have scar tissue from a previous surgery or serious nerve impingment it is a good idea to see a doc who has that fluorscope. I have had two ESI's and they used a fluorscope.
  • I have had a lot of esi's & facet joint injections, last lot were 4 weeks ago today & at the moment I am feeling great ! still 95% pain free!!!
    I have never had one whilst sitting upright or sitting at all, I have always being lying on my stomach over a "hump" bed which means that my spine was stretched and access to joints & track for an ESI easier to access. My understanding was that the epi access was usualy the same place which was the base of the spinal colomn around the coxix and it went up from there to the appropriat level, I have had some with real time xray which I believe you guys call floriscope (I hope or Im really gonna feel left out!!LOL) and some without. This last set have been the best so far. I now take all the sedation on offer, previously I tried to be a brave soldier!! LOL, not worth it take the drugs!!! ROFLOL, found I was very flushed for about three days then it wore off. Every one seems to be different in their reactions to these injections and how long they last for them. What I would love to know is what is a blood patch??? I have never heard of this in the UK we must have them & they are probably known by a different name, usual thing we have to be different!!! same with the drug names, I really don't know what you guys are discussing at times!! but I can be thick at times !! db
  • is done when a SCF leak and spinal headache occur. They inject a bit of your own blood into the epidural space, the blood goes to the leaking spot, clots and seals up the leak. The headache goes away, yay! or so I hear...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
    where a member indicates that they had an ESI without the use of a fluoroscope. Personally, I think that is a bit crazy on behalf of the doctor.
    How is the doctor going to know exactly where to insert the needle? Maybe there are some doctors out there with almost xray eyes...
    I hope at least you were given a mild IV sedative.
    You would receive two needles, a small one and later the larger one to inject the cortisone.

Take a look at this Spine-Health video on an ESI
    ESI Video

This goes into detail step by step on how an ESI is administered. You will see and hear how/why a fluorscope is used.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have heard quite a few referals to this recently but not known what it was or involved. db
advertisement