Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

related dermatomes?

• Welcome to SH :H I'm not really familiar with thoracic dermatomes but it would make sense to feel something going on in your arm like that tearing pain you feel in your bicep muscle. Did you have a ct or MRI done? I can't understand why the doctor is thinking that you have a conversion disorder because sensations like tearing, burning, cutting, stabbing, or pins & needles are descriptions of nerve pain. Maybe you should find another doctor who will truly care and listen; many have had to go to several doctors to finally get a diagnosis. Whatever happens, I hope you find the answer to this dilemma. Take care :)
  • Welcome to this site and thank you for your post. :H

I have experienced the same type of arm pain you are describing, when my stomach acts up. Mine began about 3 weeks ago and I have been taking Tagamet when I notice my stomach starting to ache and gurgle. This seems to have helped me, but please check with your doctor to make sure it is okay for you to take.

When I explained this to my neurosurgeon, he didn't seem to feel it was out of the ordinary. Every doctor is different, as we all know. My doctor explained that I will be feeling a lot of different pains and sensations during my healing process. It takes a long time for the thoracic area to heal. LONG time.

The panic feeling... I can totally relate. I was prescribed Xanax and that helps. A lot of doctors and people are against taking Xanax, so again... please check with your doctor. There may be something other than Xanax that works for the difficulty in breathing episodes. (I also find it difficult to swallow, when I get an episode such as this one.)

I hope you find relief soon. Please keep us posted on how you progress.

• Do you experience low back pain but aren’t sure why? Have you struggled to reach the end of the day at work, or had to push through the final stages of your exercise program because of this pain?

In the scope of massage one of the commonest causes that I come across, for tension or pain felt in the lower back region is due to muscular imbalance, postural dysfunction and/or incorrect movement. This can be accompanied with pain from muscle, neuromuscular and/or joint structures.

Our spine is connected to our hip at the sacrum, making the sacroiliac joint. To allow for smooth and efficient movement through this joint, muscles responsible for flexion, extension and rotation (all movements in the spine and hips) to any degree need to be balanced in their ability to lengthen and shorten simultaneously.
    To control these movements a group of muscles known as the ‘core’ muscles exist. Their role in preventing injury and allowing for smooth, optimal movement in our trunk and our limbs is vital.

Underactivity or inhibition of this muscle group can reposition your hips to sit improperly and can lead to any of the symptoms you may be feeling in your low back region, especially if it becomes an on-going change.

The two important core muscles (there are more) that provide the fundamental structure you need to move efficiently, optimally and to help prevent injury and pain are your transverse abdominis muscle (not your six pack) and your pelvic floor muscle group.
    In my clinical experience most people have ‘heard’ about the core, but aren’t exactly sure of how to ‘switch it on’.

Post edited by Tam for solicitation