Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Day 24 post op PLIF (L5,S1) - 2nd week back to work tomorrow :(

pepper09ppepper09 Posts: 138
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I know that surgery success is not based on when a person can go back to work and I would have chosen to stay home longer than 2 1/2 weeks to recover from my surgery, but financially I could not afford to stay home.

So, the first week was tough and I spent all day last Friday just recovering from the week. I was sick most of Saturday and today.

Back to work tomorrow :( Is anyone else in the same boat where they were pushed to go back to work sooner than they were ready? I just can't believe my doctor would release me so soon. The FMLA form that he filled out before surgery were way different than what he is allowing me to do after surgery, such as going back to work in 2 1/2 weeks rather than 6 - 12 weeks. I was excited to go back to work last week and thought I was ok, but my body is telling me differently now.

• I've not had surgery but can't you call your Surgeon and tell him to sign you off for 12 weeks and get sick pay or employment benefits? That's rough to get to work so soon imho. Good luck Pepper. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Wow, that just seems way too soon to go back to work. I agree with Charry - talk with your surgeon.

I was very lucky because my surgeon said it was totally up to me when I was ready to go back to work and they'd stand beside me whatever I decided. I went back only part time after 7 weeks and they put on the paperwork that I could work a maximum of 4 hours, but some days I might not be able to work more than 1.

Please talk to your surgeon and let us know what he/she says.