Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What can I do today that I could not do yesterday

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Chronic Pain
Each day that goes by for a spinal patient that has
- Recovering from surgery
- Dealing with pre-surgery situations
- Handling things well after surgery means something.
means a lot.

There may not be a lot of strides, in fact many actions may seem so small and insignificant. But when we move forward, it is easy to appreciate the smaller things.

I cant really go back in time to think how I went by day to day after each of my surgeries, so instead, I can just identify the days after my lowest medical period recently.

When I herniated those 4 thoracic discs, I was miserable. Nothing helped, I could never get comfortable so each day seemed to go on forever.

I couldn't walk from the top of my driveway to the bottom without stopping a few times. I couldn't bend down to look at a plant without the aid of a cane to get me up again.

Today, I can walk past the bottom of my driveway and continue for a mile or so before returning. Not only can I bend to look at a plant, I can stay down there to remove a few weeds and get up without help.

Minor things in term of everything, but to me they mean so much.

What can you do today that you couldnt do yesterday?

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I actually took a shower by myself and sat in the chair for quite a little while without pain

• Actually had son fold up the walker for good and if I want to get somewhere I will use my cane.Patsy
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    accomplishment. You should be very happy and proud. I'm wishing more and more good fortune like that for you.
  • this week i can manage to get in and out of the shower on my own and i am managing the stairs better to. actually my frame of mind is 100% better than it has been!!!!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    thats great. Progress doesnt always have to be huge giant steps. Its those things that seem so simple but yet they are really huge as your recovery.

• This is more of a accomplishment (smiling with the boss)
    Yesterday was my first day I went to P.T.
    Big deal for me, long story but....(wont go into details)
    I promised family I would try it.That is P.T.
    They thought for sure I would leave saying I'm never going back. but when son came in to pick me up and seen the smile on my face he was so happy, (he had a tear in his eye)
    Long story and it would be to much to explain but...
    This was big ol step for me and I'm so glad I did it and I'm gonna keep it up(I was proud of myself)
    I slept like a baby last night and woke with pain I didn't have before.but it was that pain I remember after a good long walk around the subdivision I haven't had in years.Like a memory.. I think I'm getting on the right track and I cant wait til Thur when I go back to P.T.(sitting with icepack on lower leg.. and laughing about it)(can you imagine)(does anyone understand)
    p.s. nerve pain
    pain pain
    work out pain
    Patsy-having a little bit of the ol me today..
  • What can I do today that I couldn't do before? Focusing on the inner me rather than the physical me, I can:

Accept help (believe me, I would NEVER let anyone help me before)
    Give up on being a perfectionist
    Take time to enjoy the little things, like a sunrise or raindrops on a flower

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I started PT too! It's a big step and I wish you the best! I've been in bed most of today with ice and heat but it is so worth it! I'm here for you and look forward to hearing how it goes for you tomorrow! Take it one day at a time and I know you'll be fine. Good Luck!

What can I do today that I couldn't do yesterday???

My family and friends all say I stand taller and walk better than I have for over 3 years!

I can go to PT!

I have more stamina some days to help do a few more things around the house to help my family.

I can sit just long enough to have family and friends over for a meal or go out to eat with them at a restaurant close to home!

Best of all, because I'm not too busy working and running around in the fast lane, I have time to be here emotionally and mentally for my family and friends. I have lots of time to listen so they can sit by me or call me anytime and I'm available for them.

Baby steps but progress. Even if it is 2 steps forward and 1 back because the pain is worse sometimes it is well worth it!

We will survive with more strength than we ever thought we had!

• I was so happy to read your and others posts about doing small things that you could not do yesterday. Little things mean a lot to each of us who suffer from chronic pain.
    I wish i could say that I am doing things that I have not been able to do in a long time.I am not yet at that point but I soon hope to be. I am now waiting for my SCS trial and if it is a success I WILL come back and let everyone know how it has improved my life.
    But just wanted to let you know that your post has given me hope and how happy I am for you to be able to stop and smell the roses. =D>
    Patsy W
This discussion has been closed.