Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is Disney Doable 1 week out of Collar?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Water Cooler
I'm not sure if this the right place to post this but it seemed too frivolous to post where people are discussing their specific spine issues.

Anyway I booked a sweet Disney vacation for my family before my neck/arm pain came on. Now I'm wondering if I can still make it. I had ACDF c5-c7 March 26th and I'm supposed to be out of cervical collar by May 21st. Trip is set for 10 days later.
Doc believes I could go, but advised no jarring rides (No Tower of terror :''( , No roller coasters #o , No Dinosuar) I would only be able to ride the slower theatrical rides. This is not a huge deal because 75% of Disney is theatrical vs. thrill rides anyway. Plus I got nice resort(CSR) to chill at in case the parks are too much. I figured the walking (and you do a lot of it) would do me good.

Right now I'm in virtually no pain and just a little numbness in hand and walking 2 miles a day on treadmill.

So what do you think, is this doable or should I postpone? :?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    But only you and your doctor can really answer that one.
    How far do you have to travel to get to Disney?
    That would be my first concern. Traveling, car, plane, train after spinal surgery is no picnic.
    Next thing would be your stamina. You were used to one level before surgery, but now, its rebuilding your strength.
    The rides? That I would be so very cautious off. Only the soft easy ones. And even some of the more conservative rides at Disney still involves some jarring and quick movements.

For you trip:
    - Pack your collar
    - Make sure you have enough of all of your medications
    - While traveling, some disposable ice packs

Its good that you have been pain free and are walking up to 2 miles a day! Just remember the walking at Disney will not be the same as going out for a walk in your area.

You are still just a 'baby' when it comes to measuring time post surgery. The good part is that it sounds like your ACDF went fine and I have always felt that I recovered quicker and stronger when I had cervical surgery vs lumbar surgery. The hard part will just making sure you dont overdo it. I am sure that the others in your family are going to be excited about the Disney trip and might forget for a second or two about your medical situation. Dont try to be the hero and do everything. Pace yourself.
    You do have some time before you go on your trip. Continue walking and doing the things to build up your strength.

I could see you playing a guitar with Mickey!
    Good luck
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Traveling via airplane from Chicago to Orlando, renting a car when we get there because I don't do Disney buses. If the collar has to come into play I would defintely postpone until November. Too dang hot to be wearing a cervical collar in Florida in June. #:S

I will take your advice to keep working on building up strength before trip. I have up to 6 days before reservation to cancel without losing anything but $100 bucks. Family is already prepared to go in Nov. if need be.

And you're right, my neurosurgeon and my gut feeling will be what ultimately drives my decision. Also, it wouldn't be the first time I've dragged my guitar to Disney B)

Thanks Brau!
  • just saw this, don't know that I'd try Disney that close to losing the collar... I just came back from Disney last Monday! I had a good time there, now I am back to miserable...

I was in a Collar for 15 weeks after my accident and I doubt I would have felt up to having fun at Disney a week later. Your head feels really heavy! You will get very tired easily!

I'd vote for November you will have a much better time! I just went for it since no one has told me not to :D

Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, Everest, Dinosaur, Splash Mountain, etc, etc, I was really shocked at how well I did. I guess since my problem seems to be hidden somewhere, it is fairly stable.
  • I haven't been out of this collar for more than 10 minutes since my surgery so I didn't even think about it being an issue as far as being tiring once I got it off.

Sounds like you had a good time at WDW, which is great. My family and I are big Disney fans. The bad thing is even if I postpone until November, Doc is telling me I still can't go on no jarring rides. He said it would be at least a year and for some rides probably never.

• They have never actually identified what is causing my pain.
    I was a little afraid so I started with the Tower of Terror! :O

Probably not the brightest idea. :?

When it seemed OK, I just went with it.
    The ride I found the most unpleasant and the only one that really made me nervous was Space Mountain :( That bummed me out as it was my fav. it is old school though and once you ride the newer rides you realize it is ROUGH compared nowadays.

I'd advise you not even consider it. I remembered it as dark and smooth and cool to ride. Not any more. I won't do it again!
  • Doc already told me no jarring rides this year (no Tower of terror, no roller coasters)Space mountain will be closed for rehab anyway. I'm gonna be riding the lil kid rides and slow rides (Snow White,Pirates,Haunted Mansion, etc)

When I go for my 1 month post-op x-ray with Doc next friday, based on what he says is when I'll know better what I'm going to do. The thing that freaks me out is my fusion will not even be complete. I think they say it takes about 3 months to fuse. I'll only be just over the the two month mark when I'm suppoed to leave for Disney.
  • I live close to WDW and we use to enjoy all the parks when the kids were growing up. I love everything there and all the rides! But I would not even think about riding, not even simple rides right now!!!! I would not want to take any chances on messing up the fusion or doing anything that would require me to start over back at square one with unrelenting excruciating pain...NOTHING is worth that! I would love to go share the experience with family/friends by watching their delight and being there to share their excitement! That would make my day and be more than enough! Someday when I can walk it again (no wheelchairs, can't sit long either) ....I hope to enjoy the sights and share the fun without rides!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    My last spinal surgery was in 2000.. Still I can not (or should not) go on any ride that is jarring, quick start/stops, etc.. When I have I pay for it dearly.
    Last time was about 8 years ago..
    Those days are over for me...
    But I still enjoy watching
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com