Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

klonopin, what a relief!

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Pain Medications
I started taking klonopin after my car accident back in 2006. It was a short term thing after the accident to get me through the crying bouts. Now Im having terrible panic attacks and my dr gives me 1 1/2 klonopin a day . I have to say it works wonders for my pain. Im going to ask my new PM Dr about this when I see him on the 22nd. Is this something a PM Dr gives for pain? What is the usual dose for pain. This really is a miracle drug for me.
advertisement

Comments

• I noticed on your little bio at the bottom that you were denied surgery 3 times. Why is that? Sounds like you have a lot of pain. I am so glad you have had some success with klonopin! yahooo. Hope you are feeling better by the day.
    ouch
  • Those surgeons said there was too much damage on too many levels. I do have another appointment with a neurosurgeon at one of the best hospitls in the country on the 27th. I have hernisted disks in lumbar , thoracic and cervical spine so im not so sure what can be done. I also changed PM Dr to another super pain clinic and Im sure they will have soemthing for me.
  • I don't know if they prescribe klonopin, but valium is often used. It helps with muscle spasms and with pain sometimes. I took 10 mg post surgically for 3 months, and then I was switched back to zanaflex 6 mg. Well, I hope your new PM doctor listens to you and is willing to work with you too. Take care
  • That's wonderful that klonopin works so well for your pain. I also take it but not for pain. I take one 0.5mg tablet at night for sleep if I need it.
    I do not know if a PMDoctor will perscribe it for pain unless you tell them how great it works for you.
    Isn't it wondeful to find something that really helps?? I do not know what the usual dosage is but do keep taking it!!
    Best of luck to you....
    Hugssssssssss >:D<
    Patsy W
  • Clonazepam is a benzo such as valium, and is typically prescribed for anxiety, panic attacks, and such. In my experience those who have found 'pain relief' from it are using it alongside an opiate narcotic, such as norco/vicodin, etc. Klonopin potentiates (increases) the effectiveness of the pain killers and with you being on the patch and taking 10mg vicoding/norco, it's likely that the pain relief you are feeling is a result of the combination, but not from the klonopin itself. To me, it suggests that maybe your doc needs to up your patch to 75mcg or 100mcg and lower the klonopin, it's probably a better route, would have similar effects, and you don't want your body to be dependent on klonopin too, which WILL happen.

best wishes,

JWM
  • Klonopin also acts as a muscle relaxant. My PM prescribes it to me periodically to treat pyriformis muscle spasms. I've had 3 other doctors (my PCP, my neurosurgeon, and my previous pain doctor) prescribe it for various spasming and "locked" muscles.

Since you had such good results from adding Topamax to your medication regimen, it would be a sign to me that you're having a lot of pain coming from muscle issues.
  • ive since stopped taking the klonopin because #1just didnt think I needed it #2 it made me sooo loopy and really tired. I would fall asleep eating my nighttime bowl of cereal. So its one less med I have to worry about. Ill still keep them for the anxiety attacks in the car.
  • I'm on half a mg ....it helps with pain. I take opioids as well. I was taking the clonazepam at bedtime but found it helps pain so I take it earlier to get relief. Problem..of course you cannot get off of it...Iwithdrawal) but docs don't want to give it. PM said it doesn't go with opioids. Other docs said it's a psych drug for anxiety only. When my doc retires I will be up the creek. I'd love to talk to anyone privately in Ohio to see what they are doing if on this. My doc (as we all are) is getting old. I want to be prepared. Withdrawal is not an option and I enjoy pain relief!!! Can anyone help? Thanks
    AGAIN NOT ADVOCATING GETTING ON THIS..there is an ashton method to get off of it supposedly...I wouldn't recommend it. Protracted withdrawal is one reason. You ccan go into withdrawal without stopping the med for instance (google ashton benzo withdrawal) anyway I just want to remain on the .5. Any buckeyes out there I can chat with? Thanks.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,346
    Benzodiazepine - an off shoot of the valium family. Valium is know as one of the best muscle relaxants. It would only make sense that a sister drug would cause some of the same benefits - I'm on 1mg 3X a day ... and Flexiril 10mg 3 x a day between the two I'm ok .... who knows when the snow sets in!! YUK!! These are my only remaining narcotic RX meds beside 800mg Ibuprophen 800mg 3 X a day. Clonazepam is quicker onset and shorter half life (duration) than Valium - that makes cessation much easier. From Experience.

Dave
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Last very long. I'm on Xanax 2. Times a day
    And Ativan once at night.
    I'm looking for muscle tightness relief.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,138
    edited 11/13/2015 - 7:36 AM
    I've been on clonazepam for, well, a very long time.
    I started it to help with my anxiety. It also helps with sleep so I take at bedtime.

If I am even a couple days late in picking up my refill, I am unsteady, shaky, handling objects...like plate and fork.
    And if I'm able to sleep, it is with very weird dreams and exhausting.

I've reminded doctors of this, and they want me to continue. For years now, I've been on some sort of opiate medication for the chronic pain, and I've not noticed any interactions.

The clonazepam started couple years before the opiate medications, and so even when taken alone, I had same effects if day or two without it at night.

Mostly, med is very effective for my needs.
    There is never an experience of being high, just sleepy and sometimes it doesn't even do that and is like nothing.
    So I don't crave it, but obviously my body strongly opposes when I am missing doses

moderator, ~~savage

• Angel08AAngel08 Posts: 6
    edited 11/26/2015 - 5:23 PM
    I have been taking 2 mg of Klonopin a day (split in the am and pm) and it doesn't help my pain at all unfortunately or make me tired :( I have it for Anxiety. My one Dr. switched me to 10mg of Valium 2x a day and that didn't do anything either. I am glad it is helping some people out.. I wish it would for me :(
advertisement