Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Botox injections

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Has anyone had Botox injections for muscle spasms? What kind of side effects did you have and did they help you?

• Bev, I am new to the sight but not to BOTOX. This is truly just what happened to me. I am in no way a doc. So here goes my opinoin. I got it for 7 yrs in my jaw area, in front of ear, in the temple area, in the joints to get to the muscle behind the joints and under the jaw area on both sides. I truly had great luck with it, however it takes up to three weeks for it to take effect and last only up to 6 months. It was great while it lasted. It assisted with my muscle spasms and headaches. Best of luck to you. ~Namaste~ lisalee
  • Thank you Lisa, I've been thru so much just trying to get some relief from constant neck, shoulder and arm pain. I'm willing to try anything at this point. Thanks again
  • Hi Bev,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I do not have an answer for you, but...
    I do remember reading others on here who have.
    Consider doing a search on this site as there are folks on here who do know what it is like first hand. They may be offline or no longer participating.
    May you find relief.
    ACDF C5-6 twice
    Still in pain too
  • Welcome to Spine Health.

I have had multiple Botox injections for muscle spasms. The ones in my lower back worked tremendously, the ones in my neck made me wish I had never allowed them to be done. I got no relief from the ones in my neck and the effect of the rest of the neck muscles having to take up the slack, made me incredibly miserable. Unfortunately I was so miserable on a daily basis at that time, that I repeated it several times, hoping that eventually it would work. In my neck it never did.

• I agree with C - I had botox injected in my trap muscle in 4 spots - one on each side of the neck and one on each side of the upper back. i did not get any relief - in fact I believe it made things worse.

But do not go by my experience, your doctor can explain why and where he will inject the botox....sometimes anything is worth a try...we all respond differently.

The nice thing was C talked me thru some after effects, so that I was not surprised and blind sited by the increased pain....it helps to know what you are getting into so that you can be prepared....plan for the worst and hope for the best - no disappointments on the expectations

pm anytime with questins - pfm
  • Thanks for all the comments. I saw the doctor today that would be doing the injections. He told me that I was definately a good canaidate. He also told me that he does have a small precent of patients that are worse afterwards.I am really having second thoughts about doing this. With the luck I seem to have I'm afraid I may be part of that small precentage. Look at the mess I'm in after having a two level ACDF. Thanks again for sharing.
  • You never know, you may be one of those folks who really benefits from it. Unfortunately you have to try it before you find out.

Don't let us scare you off from something that may be a blessing for you.

I'm a lunk head and even though it didn't work the first few times, I was still dumb enough to keep trying over and over again, in hopes that it would suddenly work.

If you don't try, you'll never know whether it's the golden egg or not.

• Bev, The only side effect I had was a very severe headache due to clenching my teeth to make the muscles spasm to know where the best place to inject the BOTOX. It has been six years since I have gotten the BOTOX due to my insurance quit paying for it. Best of luck to you! I hope you have releif soon! ~Namaste~ lisa
  • Your right C, I may at least try it once to see if it helps. This is my only option, my pm doctor says that he is up against a wall and don't know of anything else to try. He has done everything and nothing has helped. The disks above and below my fusion are herniated but my neurosurgeon said that I will eventually need more surgery but not yet.
  • Cost,what does it cost?that is the problem with botox injections.....most insurance dont cover botox injections...
  • My doctor told the workers comp nurse that went with me to my appt. that it's around $800 each time. And he said that I may require injections every three months for the rest of my life. So I'm thinking that it is doubtful that workers comp is going to agree to it.