Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bow Hunter Syndrome

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
I was having eppisodes of near stroke conditions, with head turned to left. Spent 5 days in hospital Kettering EDITED. Doctors were dumbfounded, they had no clue what was causing this. They did angiogram and found nothing they thought important. Was referred to EDITED and EDITED in Cardio, I was in his office 8hrs and he then referred me to cardio/nuro spec who was amazed at the symptoms I had, near falling over, lack of motor skills etc, after subsequent visits at 500 miles round trip they did another angiogram with positional variances and found a block in neck when head was turned to left upward position. Them MRI then 2 cat scans in one day, finally passed me to EDITED nuro spine, he suggested spine fusion C1-C2 to restrict movement or a arterial compression that "may cause other problems" I chose the fusion. june 07 surgury, Had surgury on Thursday morning lasted 8hrs, Ventillator quit working after they cut into hip to take out bone. Had to repair ventillator then proceed with surgury. They asked me Friday evening if I was ready to go home, I told em maybe in morning, which I did leave Sat Morning. The hardest part of recovery was geting out of bed for first time, and becomeing addicted to Pain meds and valum. Now I live with what feels like a real tense feeling in neck. Starting to drive me nuts, like I cant get loose. any ideas????
What is Bow hunter syndrome you ask? Well I have no Vertebral Basilar artery (suppose to supply blood when one side is pinched(a common variable in 90% of population have a pinch in neck and their Vertevral basilar artery picks up the weak side, well I have none of that and almost had stroke. If stroke would have hapened Dr. said would have been bad, loss of gate, walking etc, back right side of brain. Well thats my story....

Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.
advertisement

Comments

• Diamb78, if you are still around (I also will try to PM you) I just want to say how glad I am to finally find someone else with BHS and how difficult it is to get a diagnosis.

It can be quite confusing presentation initially - my doc was considering cervical myeopathy due to changes in my gait and some significant stumbling a couple of times, xrays already showed significant OA at C1-2 (RA was ruled out) but my ACDF C3-6 looked fine. MRI with contrast did not show anything. But then in one week I had 3 episodes of drop attack, then a 4th one in front of him (I was leaning to the left, bent over less than 45 degrees, and lifted my head to look at him when I went blank.) He apparently saw my eyes glaze over, he grabbed the front of my scrub shirt and got me standing. My next memory is him asking 'are you going down?' but I was just blank. No eye/ear/nausea etc. I was able to respond verbally in about 15 seconds. I had an appt. with him the next week and he referred me to a neurologist for 'vertebral insufficiency.' Each episode was related to neck extension (not the traditional turning the head side to side.) So will see what happens next.

I have done extensive internet (like PubMed and Spine)research and feel that there must be an osteophyte probably at C1-2 that is clamping off the vertebral arteries (a known although rare finding)causing the drop attacks. My biggest concern was the 4th event causing memory loss for those seconds. While surgery would be a difficult recovery, from the reports I have found it is very very successful with fusion and decompression.

I hope you are doing well now. You sure had to go through a lot of diagnostic testing and referrals before someone recognized this syndrome (which has appeared for many years in all the related professional journals!

My biggest concern is finding the right surgeon if and when this is properly diagnosed.

I would be very much interested in this whole situation with you so feel free to PM me.

Apparently Diamb78 is no longer on spine-health (when I tried to PM, message states no recipient exists.)

So if anyone else has a similar story, I hope they will post here.
  • Sunshine007SSunshine007 Posts: 1
    edited 09/26/2015 - 5:21 AM
    I know your post was in 2009, but I have similar issues to you and wonder how you are doing. did you get your c1-2 fused? if you see this post, please write.

thanks,
    Sunshine007

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
    Anonymous said:
    Diamb78, if you are still around (I also will try to PM you) I just want to say how glad I am to finally find someone else with BHS and how difficult it is to get a diagnosis.

It can be quite confusing presentation initially - my doc was considering cervical myeopathy due to changes in my gait and some significant stumbling a couple of times, xrays already showed significant OA at C1-2 (RA was ruled out) but my ACDF C3-6 looked fine. MRI with contrast did not show anything. But then in one week I had 3 episodes of drop attack, then a 4th one in front of him (I was leaning to the left, bent over less than 45 degrees, and lifted my head to look at him when I went blank.) He apparently saw my eyes glaze over, he grabbed the front of my scrub shirt and got me standing. My next memory is him asking 'are you going down?' but I was just blank. No eye/ear/nausea etc. I was able to respond verbally in about 15 seconds. I had an appt. with him the next week and he referred me to a neurologist for 'vertebral insufficiency.' Each episode was related to neck extension (not the traditional turning the head side to side.) So will see what happens next.

I have done extensive internet (like PubMed and Spine)research and feel that there must be an osteophyte probably at C1-2 that is clamping off the vertebral arteries (a known although rare finding)causing the drop attacks. My biggest concern was the 4th event causing memory loss for those seconds. While surgery would be a difficult recovery, from the reports I have found it is very very successful with fusion and decompression.

I hope you are doing well now. You sure had to go through a lot of diagnostic testing and referrals before someone recognized this syndrome (which has appeared for many years in all the related professional journals!

My biggest concern is finding the right surgeon if and when this is properly diagnosed.

I would be very much interested in this whole situation with you so feel free to PM me.

Apparently Diamb78 is no longer on spine-health (when I tried to PM, message states no recipient exists.)

So if anyone else has a similar story, I hope they will post here.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,904
    Both posts are by ex members of Spine-health
    Liz -Spine-health Moderator

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery