Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here and scared to death!!!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well, Hello!

My Info:
34 year old male
5’7” 150 lbs
Very athletic

I have been lurking around here for about two weeks now looking for similar cases like mine. I have to admit there are some strong willed people here and you guys are an inspiration to a lot.

My story, I woke up just about 6 weeks ago with terrible pains in my upper back, shoulder and down my arm, all left side and tricep and chest weakness. 10/10 pain, you all know of it! After going to the ER and seeing a doc, I was referred to a chiropractor. Spent 4 days in a row of neck cracking and pulling that only made it worse and put me back in the ER. After a few weeks I finally saw my primary doc (was on vacation) and he saw the symptoms and led me in the right direction. Saw a surgeon, got the MRI and learned I had a broad based herniation left side of C6-7 and a mild herniation at C5-6. All said no cord compression.

The surgeon recommended surgery ACDF C6-7 because of the dramatic weakness. (I was an avid cyclist and was able, no kidding to do 90-100 pushups in a row). The days immediately following the pain I was not able to do 5.

Second opinion from another highly accredited surgeon was to wait after the steroids (Dexamethasone) and see how you feel????? OK I’ll do that. Five weeks pass and a few days off the drugs and no pain has returned except a little burning in the back of the left shoulder when I flex and a little strength gain, I can do 15 pushups now but still weak.

HOWEVER, And this part is F****** with me, for the last 2 ½ weeks I have had numbness in my right leg, mostly knee down with a wee little pain on the top of my right Bum. All numbness goes away when asleep. When I awake for the first few minutes my legs are fine. I think of my issue and within 5 minutes of waking up I feel the numbness. I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING MAJOR ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION!!!!! Yesterday for the first time I felt a weird weakness in my right arm, When I lift it up it kind of feels like shaky. WTF!

It has been about 6 weeks now since this all started and I was wondering if anyone else has been through the same crazy symptoms from a Cervical herniation. What was your results after surgery and or conservative treatments??

Thanks for reading my LONG post, I hope you made it this far!

• but I will be praying for you and a quick recovery

• Hey Bubblegum,

I don’t think you can scare me more than I already am. In the last year I was given a great promotion at work, am in the process of buying a house and have a 3 ½ year old little boy who I can not play with. I do have a great supportive wife so that helps.

How long did you wait before surgery from the initial onset? I too have very little of the original symptoms so I was quite confused, and still am.

Who knows, I actually have surgery scheduled for the 20th of this month, 6 DAYS! With surgeon # 1 and a follow up with surgeon # 2 tomorrow. Surgeon # 2 is supposed to be the best here in NJ and does not see the need to rush surgery, OK, we will see.

Thanks for your input, it really helps!
  • seems like a long time. I hope if I go with the surgery on Monday, Yep Monday, the symptoms go away. It has been a really short ammount of time. We will see! Part of me is leaning on chickening out because I do not want to be fused, but is only at C6-7. I hope I have good mobility after it is over.

Rhode Island, I did some work for Northwest Airlines a few years back in the local airport. You guys have the best seafood joints! Lucky.

According to your info you were only borne about a month ago, good typing skills for a one month old.
  • hi NJ I was a lot like you scared to death. I have had neck problems for 8 years but on and off. The first time I had 3 injections and was pain free for 3 years then I had more and was pain free for 2 years. But it got to a point where nothing worked any more and I had to have surgery. You want to know results I have had great results. I am 3 months post op an I feel great.....back to work full time finally ( I worked at home for a long time ) I am pain free for the first time in a loooonng time!

Good Luck...And I had a 3 level ACDF yours should be a breeze...
  • I was going to a chiro and feeling real good, but yesterday I overstreched and have been in pain the last 2 days. I guess I need surgery...
  • Sorry you're going through this, but with that weakness in your arm it's understandable that the doc suggests surgery.

I've had a 3-lvl and consider it a success. I still have some muscle spasms and neck aches, but the weakness in my arm and the 24/7 tingling and numbness were gone immediately after surgery.

Hope all goes well and take care. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or want to vent.