Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

trial SCS implant tomorrow!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I get my trial implant tomorrow a.m. (Wednesday)
I'm excited and nervous. I'll let you all know how it goes. if anyone wants to share what to expect tomorrow, that would be amazing. thanks so much.

• I'm going to assume that you have read up on this since you have 157 posts at this time! :)

Same basic procedure as an ESI, then they hook you up to the unit and ask you if you feel tingling and where. Once you tingle in the right place they place a stitch or two to hold the lad in place, wire you up to the belt pack and tape it all down.

They program your remote and show you how it works etc, send you home for the trial, no BLT, no lifting etc, etc,

Good luck! Hope it does the trick!
  • Basically what Wrambler said. Make sure that you play with the programmer during your trial to see how different settings feel and don't be afraid to contact the company rep to get reprogrammed during the trial.

Since the leads are only tacked to the skin, they will be very positional. The permanent implant is far more stable.

Good luck,

• Good luck during your trial! Whatever you do, do NOT Bend, lift, twist or do anything to cause the leads to shift. If you are feeling good coverage and then all of a sudden you are not, call your programmer immediately and get in for another tweaking of the program. They want you to do this - it is the entire point of the trial.

Good luck and keep us posted!

• Luck!
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • it goes well for you. I hope you get the wanted results from it. Have a good day!
  • I have a spinal stimulator (Medtronic), and it really helps with the nerve pain in my legs - and sometimes, with RLS symptoms. Not so much with low back pain, though.

When I had my trial, I had terrific spasms, and so it was hard for me to determine how well the SCS worked, since I was distracted from the leg pain by the spasms! I only had the trial for ~72 hours - and then the implanted it permanently.

I'd recommend taking it very easy - no lifting, bending, etc. I hope it helps! Let us know!

• I already consider my SCS implant a success! what a wonderful buzzing feeling in my leg... instead of sharp, stabbing nerve pain. the procedure was so easy on my end. :)

I do feel like I've been stabbed high in my back. I didn't expect that pain... but I know it will heal. that's obviously where the needle went through to get to the spinal canal.

I've been really tired today... but am soooo happy with the results already.

thank you for your good thoughts & wishes & prayers!

• So happy for you!!!! Be sure to take it easy and don't dislodge those leads!!!! Do more, but be careful. Isn't it an amazing gift???

Take care,

• Very happy for you!

• So, Happy to here it is working! Follow the rules and take it easy! Hope you can have a permanent version quickly!

• thanks guys! my permanent implant is tentatively scheduled for wednesday, april 30th. I HATE to wait... but i guess that's a lot less than some of you had to. I get this trial taken out this coming Monday. I'm so ready for the permanent one. I am loving this. :) !!! :) !!!
  • Oh, I would trade your April 30th for my May 4th :D
    IIRC, the first mention I had that an SCS would be a good thing to try for me was on December 15th. I know that One member here took about 2 years due to Wcomp running around in circles trying to find anything else that would work. I think they actually tried everything twice before relenting and allowing her trial.

Don't feel quilty about your speed though. It certainly is not your fault that we have to take a longer journey to get there.

I hope your "tentatively scheduled' date is not dependant on your insurance to approve...My Tent date started out at April 20. I did not get actual insurance approval till Tuesday of this week!
  • my permanent implant is scheduled for next Wednesday, April 29th. it gets turned on the following Tuesday, May 5th, and I get the staples removed May 12th.

I had no idea I'd have to wait a week to get it turned on. Did you guys have to wait, too???

also, after the trial, I had a stabbing pain where the wires went into my back. what kind of pain/limitations can I expect after the implant? it goes in my lower back. Please be as honest as possible with your experiences so I can have some sort of idea what to expect. I know we're all different. it just helps to hear from others' personal experiences.
    thank you so much,
  • Sounds like they are going to put paddle leads in. It is common for some surgeons to wait a few days for the swelling to go down from the laminectomy before turning on the stimulator. Swelling can effect the stimulation pattern. Also you won't be able to charge the battery with staples in, so turning the unit on too soon can drain it significantly and get you into a bind as far as first recharge attempt.

Depending on where the generator is placed, it may be a bit uncomfortable the first few times you recharge. So you don't have to go for a full charge the first time you try. Just get used to it and then when you're comfortable you can fully charge it each time.

• thanks, C, for ur comments. I'm so ready for Wednesday... and for it to get turned on the following week. This could very well be my last procedure/back surgery ever! yay! :)