Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

weird head pain

Neck of Steel CindyNNeck of Steel Cindy Posts: 1,064
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm trying to figure out what is going on and thought I'd throw this out on the boards and see if anyone can relate.

For a while now I have been getting different sensations like headaches, but not really. (of course I get plenty of headaches too, yuck!). This is confusing me. It is almost like something is pressing into my scalp in multiple areas. Burns but also cold and sharp. It may be in the front one moment, the next it is on the side or on the back of my head. I get more of them in the back of my head than anywhere, but as I said before, they can be anywhere. right now these "hot spots" are on my forehead above my eyebrows, and also almost straight through on the back of my head. But it doesn't feel like the whole head is involved but rather surface spots, if that makes sense. Seems to be connected with my neck because as I move around, the burny spot will move somewhere else. Also often there is a "vibration" involved, especially when it is on the back of my head.

The past 3 days or so this has increased in frequency and severity. I wondered if it is what they call cluster headaches, but as I have read about this, it is definitely not as severe as a cluster headache.

Any ideas?

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    they be pressure points that have flared up?
    I know as I move my fingers across the back of my scalp and neck, I can feel certain areas that are pressure points. When they start to flare up, thats where I start to dig in my fingers or my theracane.
    These are generally along the side and back of my head, never in front

Just a guess.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have had what you are explaining exactly for over year maybe 2 years..and I also call them my hot spots.How strange is that...
    I also know or feel that it is from my neck.. its not any meds that I take causing the hot spots because I have figured that out and can say for sure not caused from meds.
    Only difference I never thought of them being headache at all.
    I know headaches and migraines, lived with them for years and years. until just recently one of my doc's put me on klonopin and from first pill I swear no migraines...
    script was given to relax muscles in upper back that would crawl up my neck over my head and usually over right eye, sometimes just stayed over head. he told me I was not getting a true migraine, he called it something else but that these headaches I was getting could lead into a true migraine at times. (my other doc does not like me being on this med so I have to figure this out)
    But life with no headaches is like having a different life and its like a miracle for me. I used to get headaches-migraines I would say 5 to 6 times a week it was a part of my life. and at times would keep me in bed sick throwing up all day and even to E.R.... So I have been there and pray never to go there again Cindy... all from my experiences and my opinions.
    I do honestly believe MY headaches I used to get come from my cervical spine that makes my upper back tight tension nervous and goes right up neck and boom headache.
    one day I did not take my nightly klonopin... woke up early with headache starting.
    I will stop... sorry If many think I went on and on. Just being Patsy.. and must say all my honest words and patsy's opinion... bye bye hugs and caring thoughts blowing your way..............................
  • Thanks for your responses.

Patsy, you're too funny. Just keep being yourself and don't worry if anyone thinks you go on and on. I understand migraines too and having frequent headaches is crappy, but that is the lot some of us are given.

Ron, I don't think they are trigger points. But definitely something to think on. I do have tender spots that are likely what you are describing, but these are not really like those inflamed spots.

I have a doc appt on Thursday and will be asking her about it. Just hoping to get some suggestions before going in so that I don't sound totally crazy, but then again, maybe I am and it's "all in my head".

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Bringing this to the top. Does anyone else have an idea?
  • It would be easy for your doc to determine if it is possibly the Lesser or Greater Occipital nerve getting irritated. Nerve issues can feel like ice or heat, stabbing or shooting etc ... The occipital nerves control the sensory inputs on your scalp. The scalp on the left side of my head is numb since the ganglion was removed to the occipital nerve.

Migraines can cause scalp sensitivity, many times as a precursor to the headache. I can't stand to touch my hair, wear a hat or touch my head when I have a migraine coming on.

I hope your doc helps you out and tries something to determine the type and source of your pains.

• C- Am I understanding this correctly, you had your ganglion removed surgically? I never heard of this, was it to stop occipital neuralgia? I am very interested in hearing more of your story....
  • Yes I had the dorsal ganglion removed to the greater occipital nerve. It is a surgery that is rarely done and I don't feel comfortable recommending except for in the most extreme of situations. I have had terrible complications from the surgery itself, although it was successful in getting rid of the out of control pain. It's kind of like cutting off your foot to get rid of a hang nail.

There's too many other options for treating occipital neuralgia. Unless those have been tried and failed, I wouldn't let anyone even suggest a ganglionectomy!

• Thanks for the info C, it sounds like an awful thing to go through. My pain goes through a kind of "remission", you might call it, and I have terrible flairs at times. Right now I am going through a pretty good low pain level!
  • I would never recommend this unless a person was totally incapacitated by the ON.

How is your ON being treated? Meds? Blocks? Rhizotomy?