Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rooster comb injections for knee pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
Hello,I am knew here & have a question? Has any one heard about this injection,I saw my ortho. yesterday & he says I am not ready for a knee replacement yet. I am having severe pain in my knee,I can't hardley walk. I have also had 8 back surgeries my last one this past dec. 19th another fusion. I am suffering from chronic pain & have been on meds. for 3yrs. Any help you could give me would be so apreciated. Thank you,Alana :)))
advertisement

Comments

• through the same thing. My knees hurt so much, going up and down stairs, kneeling, getting out of bed in the morning kills me. I just had mri done of the left one, and I am hoping that it is the arthritis and not something worse. He wants to give me those injections also, I already tried the corisone shot.. I find out tommorrow.
  • today. I am so hoping they work. My knees are in really bad shape, I am bone on bone. I will have 2 more and hopefully they will work. I have only heard good things.
  • Hi All,I get my rooster comb inj. this morning,I pray it does not make my knee worse. The PA of my ortho is giving me the inj. the nurse said he gives them all the time. I will have questions before he sticks me. I do not like to be rushed!! I will let you know how it goes,Have a LPD everyone,Alana
  • I am wanting also to find a doctor in the Tacoma, WA area that is doing this type of injection.
  • I'm heading in this month for my 3rd round of synvisc. First time around I thought they were pretty useless.... until they wore off! They do work, you might not notice right away ( it takes a few weeks usually for it to sink in) but it does make a pretty big difference for me.

This time around they wore off a bit early, my knee doc said I had to wait for the 6 months... so he did cortisone shots in both knees to help stave it off... what a difference, they did nothing for me, blah!

I'd say give it a try... if it helps, it can help for a year or more, and as already stated above, it can help hold off knee replacement surgery for a bit :)

Good luck, hope you get some good relief!

(ps, for original poster- you're coming up on 6 months soon... what did you think? Did they help, will you go back for the next round? )
  • My husband had these injections, a series of 3. The 1st seemed to ease his pain quite a bit. After the 2nd and 3rd it unfortunately only lasted about a month. His condition has been with him for many many years so this is why it probably didn't last for him. My husband was willing to try anything befor surgery.
  • I've got grade 3 out of 4 knees...where I have just a little space between the bones, but I keep some swelling all the time and that hurts. I've not had the cleanout surgery or anything. I've heard that doesn't help in the long run. I have had the cortisone shots and they work for a while, then I have to get more. I just hope the rooster comb injections help me too.

Thanks for the info.
  • Good luck Thursday, I hope you get some immediate relief! (my knee doc said, some folks do) As I said, first time around, I didn't realise how much they helped until they wore off, hehe... weird, but true!

I am bone on bone in both knees so I'm hoping that you get relief... it's nice to have at least one thinng that doesn't ache or hurt :)
  • but he says it's the same rooster comb just different brand. I have to go two more times this week and next week. He does 3 total once every week. I had both knees done. So far, I've noticed quite a bit of relief from the pain and swelling, but my knees have been a lot more noisy, like cracking, snapping sounds. They used to be like that, but have gradually quietened down except for one locks and pops loudly when I get it unlocked. That part has stopped thank goodness. I had an MRI on my left before the shots. He said he didn't see anything torn but my menincus looked strange on one side and the report noted signal changes in it. I think that means the cartilage between the bones could be damaged more...not sure. He's been wanting to scope my left knee for awhile since it's the locking one, but I've put him off since I've been busy with my back and neck. I hope these shots let me get by. I know I'm looking at knee replacements too but I hope to make it 10 to 15 more years. Who knows. My mom has had both knees done and she did great! She had one at a time done about 6 months apart. She says she can now get around so much better. She was bone on bone and limping before.
  • I'm so glad you're getting relief from them! I go for my first one Friday... hate the wait, but the knee doc was on vacation (the nerve :D) I'm with you, hoping it puts things off for a looong while :)
  • Well, I had my first round (Thursday actually because I forget stuff a lot lately, lol!) It was weird, for the first time one of the shots actually hurt... it hurt a lot! I wasn't expecting it and even my doc wanted to know what was going on since I never seem to really feel them while he's giving them!

I am feeling a bit more... ease I guess in my knees, which is nice :) I just wish they had something like this for my back!

Next round of shots is Friday (for real this time!) I'm hoping for less pain, more good feelings :)
  • I'm supposed to get my last set this Thursday, but I'm thinking I might not take one in my left knee (the worst one). It's feeling very out of place and hurting more but when I walk directly straight on it. The other knee never felt better. I just wonder if too much fluid can be a bad thing and cause the structure or support to not work right? I'm going to call tomorrow and ask at the office to see what they say. I'm down with a really bad cold and can't talk clearly today. Let me know if after your 2nd set if you notice an unstable feeling or more pain. I'll post what the office tells me.
  • I had knee problems long before i had a back problem. Twenty eight years ago I had a pattelectomy. Shattered my pattela when I was 14, wited 11 years to have the surgery . Thought I was getting a knee replacement only to wake up and find out differnet. This was the worse surgery ever, they don't even do them any more. This was done on my left leg and it feels like my legs swings on a rubber band that won't stretch. Back then they did not get you up to walk , so I stayed in a hard cast for 6 weeks . When it was removed the scar tissue was so thick I had to g o back in the ORs to have it munipulated. The pain was so bad after waking up in recovery I yell out every four letter word I new. Finally they realized the blue one of my discs out after the munipulation. Spent a few weeks in traction and my back was fine. The leg is another story. Five years ago I had the right knee done, orthoscopic to remove floating cartilidge. I have tried every medication out there and have had more cortisone shots then I want to mention, I tried the symvisc, horrible pain. first shot was painfull, second so bad I almost passed out . I refused to take the third. I am totaly bone on bone and have been for years. My ortho does not know how I am still standing, determination I tell him. I hate the thought of anymore surgerys, knees or back. All though I have not had a bac surgery YET , I know full knee surgerys are very painful, the rehab is bad and as all you know who have some surgery on a joint or back , nothing ever is the same, there is alwasy pain. Sorry for sounding so negative , but that has been my experience and I have been suffering with knee pain for a total of 38 years. karenl
  • I have to admit, the last round of 3 (in each knee) was pretty bad... I'm not sure if my threshhold for pain has dropped or if my knees got a lot worse, but the majority of the shots hurt a lot this time. That said, I've already gotten more relief than I had pain from them, so for me it's worth it. I had cortisone shots in July or August (I think) and I don't think I got any relief out of them at all, definitely no help on the kneecap pain.

I've been bone on bone in the knees since I was in my teens or 20's so anything that will allow me to hold off on the surgery And will give me relief has the nod from me. Shortly after getting these I'm able to kneel on the bed to get in (instead of trying to hop up on my butt without hurting my back); I've got a little less pain on the stairs... though that's getting harder to quantify these days since I hurt so much doing stairs already.

Please try to talk to your doc to find out why they hurt you so much... what we discovered by round 3 was that going to the inner side on the right and the outer side on the left wasn't nearly as bad as the reverse!!!
    I have pain in my legs, hips and back, but my knees at least aren't part of that pain for a few months. That helps me to deal with all the rest of it.

Good luck and I hope you start to get some relief from the shots you've already had.
  • Just wanted to post and say that my experience with the shots has turned to the negative now. My knees are back to the way they were before the Orthovisc shots, maybe a tad more painful...but I've been slowly going up and down our basement steps some getting Xmas things and that may be making them worse. Going down steps is horrible. That pressure must be what mashes my bones together since my cartilage is very thin and I have the spurs and crunchies in there.

I go back to my ortho 12/31 for a checkup and I'll hate reporting that the rooster comb shots did no good for me. I hope that someone reading this will respond that they have had a longer "good" experience. With our backs, necks, and other degenerative problems, the knees are just another added pain.
  • Hi, I had three injections of rooster comb about 3 years ago, and have been pretty much pain free since then. It took about six months before I could really say it felt much better. However, I also take a product called Tri Flex which contains glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSN daily. Massaging the knee every morning and flexing without weight also helps. Good luck all.
advertisement