Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One level anterior lumber fusion L5 s1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI everyone
I am due to have this surgery in four weeks and because I have read so many stories, I am starting to have second thoughts now.
Is there anyone out there who has had a one level L5 s1 anterior lumber fusion for degenerative disc disease?
I would like to know how people are doing after this particular operation as I am comparing myself to anybody and everybody at the moment.
There isn't a problem with any of my other discs at the moment, just the L5.

Back problems for 25 years including five herniations at L5 s1
Nov 07, severe prolapse of L5
Jan 08 - visit chiropractor, made situation worse in terms of pain level
Aug 08 Facet joint injections (no difference)
Feb 09 Discogram, confirmed need for fusion
Feb 09 - present - osteopath exercises three times a day, walking in water, hydrotherapy, glucosamine sulphate and changed diet - some improvement in the level of pain
May 09 Anterior lumber spinal fusion at L5 S1 suggested by surgeon

• Hi julieann,

I had a one level ALIF at L5-S1 last December 18th. I had two prior lami/disc on the same disc due to ruptures. It's a surgery that is a "little" rough getting through ..but due to the difference in how I feel and the things I am able to do now, I would do it again in a heartbeat:) Best of luck to you!
  • Thanks Maxicat

I have been wavering over the decision due to 1) hearing horror stories of fusions in general and 2) I have been getting pain relief from all of the physio etc that I have been doing.

I manage to live life everyday without painkillers, although at the moment I am signed off work and don't do a great deal really.

My pain is worse in the morning, where it is difficult to move sometimes, however, once I get going and do my exercises it tends to ease up.