Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

how long does it take

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
How long does it take for the doctor to give up his diagnosis when you have tried everything that should improve things for you - but you are just getting worse.

My doctor is convinced that all my pain is from muscles...and i have certainly come to have a healthy respect for what muscles can do - do not get me wrong. But I have gone thru everything that would help improve my condition from botox to PT to massage to traction, trigger pt injections and so on - over the last 2 years....and i am just getting worse as the time passes.

When does he begin to pursue something else....last mri 1/08 (C) hernations c56 and multiple bone spurs. Thoracic nothing showed on mri - but I am convinced something is up (maybe it is referred pain from neck or deep muscles) - but if I move wrong I am done for the day!

I have appt with doc on Friday and I hope - oh so hope that he will consider performing some additional testing...Like many people here - I am at a point where I really hope that I do not have to continue with the pain that is truely challenging my quality of life....I really do just hope for something to help properly diagnosis me - so that an appropriate treatment plan can be inacted!

thanks for the ear and not sure if there is a question here, but just needed to get these thoughts out of my head -this friday appt, is always in the back of my head as i go thru my day.

• I hope that you are able to find something soon!

• thanks C - and from your lips to God's ears!

95% of the time I roll with the punches and don't let what is going on with my body interfer too much with my spirit, additude and general life....but today is not one of those days.

I am just so sick of being in pain...taking meds that don't seem to do much....stretch, heating pads...pace myself and so on.....I don't know what has to be done, but I hope that someday someone will.

As i sit here I have pain from my neck thru my shoulder, my elbow, wrist and thumb.....Not to mention the pole that I have shoved thru me from my back into my sternum....and he thinks this is muscle..... I have done every conservative treatment available - I have done them with committment and hope....and yet here I sit - just one more freakin day of pain.

Sorry for the pity party guys - JUST VERY PISSED OFF TODAY

tomorrow we will go back to the 95% of the time and I have a retreat this weekend - things to look forward to...but for today I guess I am going to feel sorry for myself.
  • is a scary thing. I started my "back" journey almost three years ago. I went to several doctors. Some were sympathetic, some thought I was just crazy and some just didn't know what to do. Pain eats you away and you constantly wonder why me? Some times you just dont think you can do this another moment but somehow you survive the day, and the next day and the next. You find a circle of friends to be there through everything. Spine Health will help give you that support. You also have to come to the realization that your life has changed and ask God to give you the strength to accept this new lifestyle. God has a plan for your life and so don't get discouraged. If you need a friend, PM me and I will help you any way I can. I am at a point I know my life is different, do I always like it? No But do I have to live it to the best of my ability
    YES Hang in there. There are a lot of people who love and care about you

• thanks froggal - and i didn't think about the acceptance that my life has changed...it is such a journey - different levels of acceptance....I have accepted that i will not ever feel like i once use to - but i hadn't looked at it like a life changing event in the terms you put it...thank you.

It is so nice to have others understand how you feel - it is a drain on the spirit, body and mind - the chronic pain -I am exhausted all too often.

I keep thinking God wishes for me to learn something, accept something and after I have completed that he will let this mystery end. Several times in my life I have had experiences such as that....only after I have truely gotten to a place where God wants me, does the answers appear. I don't know if all that is so important, but I do Hope that God is pleased with my search (like the Thomas Merton prayer)

There's a book "Hinds feet in High Places" it was very helpful to me in the past (have you ever read it?) - perhaps I need to now reread it.

thanks again for the kind words and you have helped to make me have a healthy additude towards this journey for today.

tc - and i will see you in the pms - patti
  • I just had ACDF surgery March 9, 2009, and it feels better to vent so let it out baffled. :)

I would get a second opinion. My NS is very conservative and after my second visit and seeing my MRI and knowing what I had already been through (had been going to an arthritis doc, ortho for my shoulder, and PT for 4 months, totaling almost a year before they knew it was my neck), which I had severly herniated C5&6 and had several bone spurs, not to mention the constant arm/shoulder pain and numbness and tingling in my hand, he had me set for surgery a month later. Not to say that surgery is the answer but there is obviously something wrong for you to be in pain like that.

Good luck and I would check into getting that second opinion for sure.
  • Hey have you tried any acupuncture yet? Before I went for my SCS trial, I was getting acupuncture which kept me from going over the edge.

Just a thought,

• When my nerve pain was still bothering when i was exercising after my surgery i went to accupuncture and it worked wonders for me.Got rid of the nerve pain and got me off my pain meds.
  • Hey, I just came across this thread. If all went as planned you should have had a visit with the doc? I hope he was able to give you some hope. what testing did he order? Hopefully a new mri is in the works, as well as maybe even a CT Scan or some EMG testing. It does sound like you have tried a long stretch of therapy and conservative methods, so it may be time to look the surgical route.

Let me know if I can answer any questions. I don't often post, but you can always send me a PM, cause I usually check in every day.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!