Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new member seeks others with bad back, lol

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in New Member Introductions
I am a 29 yo f. Been having horrible leg pain since December 08. MRI was done in March after being incorrectly diagnosed with hip bursitis. Now i'm being told I need a microdiskectomy L4-5 and a hemilaminectomy. Some days I feel fine, but when I feel bad, I feel bad. I would like to discuss surgery with anyone who has had it as three neurosurgeons have now indicated that conservative treatments like PT and NSAIDS are not an option in my case. I still don't fully comprehend the whole diagnosis, all I know is that I want to rip my leg off most days. Any advice, info, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

• I'm a cervical spiney, but I have a friend who had a 2-lvl microdiscectomy after many years of back and sciatica pain, and hers went great. Her pain was gone immediately and she was out and about after a couple of days. She had some residual muscle spasms and her leg is a bit numb, but all in all it was a great success.

I don't anything about a hemilaminectomy, though.

• Sounds like several years ago. Listen to your body, and dr.'s I had a lamnectomy, and it really helped, I think the procedure you have described is close to the same, basicaly it will ease the pressure on the nerve. This evidently wont go away with meds, or concertavive treatments. Choose one of the doctors you feel explains everything to you and showes you a model (plastic spine w/ nerves)and what you can expect in the longrun. Sleeping with a pillow between your knees helps alot. These are only my openions,and I do have pain. Check out the back and neck surgery boards, lots of good info there, there are videos on this site that will show what happens with differant surgerys and procedures. Good luck to you. Rose
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    There are ALWAYS options available to patients with spinal problems and that surgery might be one of them.
    The best advice I can give you is to become as educated as you can on the subject. This sites contains libaries of articles and videos on the various spinal conditions and treatments.

You mentioned ESI's. The Epidural Steroid Injection is just one of the conservative treatments that can help shrink a bulging disc.
    The ESI procedure is not painful. Most doctors will administer a light sedative via IV to make the procedure even easier. Generally, ESIs can be given up to 3 times a year. Different doctors and different insurance companies may differ on that number. Reading posts from members here you might find a 50-50 split on the success of these injections. Manytimes, its not until the third one do you start to feel some relief.

Here is a section on Spine-Health that will help you understand them. Spinal Injections

There is also a video illustrating the ESI procedure
    ESI Video

I wouldn't shut off Physical Therapy. Many times with spinal problems, you can get some relief through one of the conservative treatments. At that point, you want to make sure you are doing all you can that will continue to help in your situation. Always listen to your doctor, they are the ones with the medical expertise , Spine-Health members can offer only personal advice.

And if surgery does become the eventual solution, make sure you have at least one second opinion that is in agreement on how to proceed

Good luck
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com