Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MS-IR Are they out of med???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Pain Medications
I tried to get a refill of a med I have been on several years and was told the maufacturers are out.????

MS-IR 15 mg tabs(or morphine sulfate immediate realease tablets) are out at my local walgreen pharmacies. I am told that they have been out for 2 weeks!! And it is due to a manufacturing problem according to them. Is this true???

I called my PM to find out and no call back yet..I am now scrambling to figure out where to get a med if it is really gone?? Ideas???? ~X( jade

• I have not tried other pharmacies as I have been told it was manufacturing problem. I will try elsewhere if there really are meds but I was told it is a manufacturing problem, and not them....2 weeks out of this med???

I will go out and try CVS but I was told there is no MS-IR, per walgreens...not true???..jade
  • whoa, I had the most bizarre experience. No pharmacy near or close to me had MS-IR 15 mg. It included Walgreens, CVS, Publix (about 10 places). I called my PM and I had to go to a mom and pop pharmacy that the nurse knew had the med. :jawdrop: Suddenly felt like a criminal as she told me to get to this pharmacy "as soon as I can".. :SS

I was told it is manufacturing problem, recall, random events, robbery, and I even asked a couple pharmacists to order it. But I was told that such a request was not possible at the moment. :T It was all cloaked in mystery and I got at least 10 people just shrugging their shoulders at me. :? jade
  • There was a recall last week of immediate relief morphine,i am on morphine er they there was not a recall of the morphine er....
  • Thanks for the info. It must be a huge recall as there was no MS-IR 15 mg tabs, at least, in my area in central FL.

I only found it thanks to my PM drs office. I was blindsided by this quest and doing this post root canal really sucked. ~X( .I don't know how they handle drug recalls but it seemed to be a treasure hunt. (not)...I would have thought pharmacies would have some back-up plan instead of, well, shrug, we don't have any and don't know when we will get it, shrug again...It's not peanut butter... :T jade
  • BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    I just got a refill prescription on the MS-IR 15 this morning. I'm also in the Central FL area. I didn't have any problem last month. Haven't tried to fill it yet. I guess I'll see if my Walgreen’s has any later.

• Did you have any problem filling your MS-IR?

Just curious.

I was able to fill my mother's prescription of oxycodone IR 15 mg's last Friday. The pharmacist said there is another company filling the prescriptions now... Not sure the name, but the pill has a fancy looking "V" on it, whereas previously (for the last 2 years) it had an "M" on it - guessing for Merck? At any rate the pharmacist said either one of these companies are who she gets them from; she is never sure which company will be filling the orders - just as long as she gets them.

So... this is just bizarre.

I hope you don't mind my curiosity...

• There is no longer a shortage of MSIR (15mg) and MS Contin (30mg). I have also been on both of these medications for 3 years for chronic low back pain. I found out the last time I went to the pharmacy to fill the prescriptions that many of the pharmaceutical companies have discontinued both of them. None of the "chain" or smaller family owned pharmacies carry them anymore around here. The pharmacies that say that the medicines are on back order will probably never receive them. I live in the New York City area and there isn't one around that has them or can order them. I went on the FDA website and there is no explanation as to why they were discontinued and it is still under the category as being a shortage. I wish all of you the best of luck finding something else that works because I know how difficult it is.

I was wondering if it is different in other parts of the country? Is anyone having the same problem?
    I have had several scrips of MS-IR 15 filled with no problems at all from my local Walgreens. This is a 24 hr extremely busy pharmacy in the Orlando Metro area.

Good Luck!
  • Thanks Botz. My doctor prescribes me both MSIR for BTP and MSER (MS Contin) for the morning and night. I am still being told by the local pharmacies that they are not expecting to get them in any time soon. I don't know why the shortage is so severe here. The chain pharmacies such as Walgreen's, CVS, etc stopped carrying oxycontin, msir and ms contin several years ago because of the population of people who abuse such prescription drugs. I will keep you guys posted. As of right now it looks like my pain management doctor is going to change my whole regimen to the fentanyl patch or something at the end of the month. It's rough trying to go to a job where I'm on my feet all day only with muscle relaxants and tylenol when I can barely get out of bed in the morning (especially when the weather is bad!) I refuse to go back out on disability. Take care and thanks for letting me know how it is by you.
    I'm very sorry you and others are having a hard time getting your prescriptions filled. Just this morning I thankfully had my Avinza 60mg and MSIR-15 filled with no problem. I asked if they have had any shortages and the girl said no. They have not had any issues with the meds at all. I'm not sure what I would do if they run out. I can't use the Fentanyl patch. I break out badly. I have been on the MS stuff for about 7 months. I was taking the max dose 120mg of the Avinza and have managed to cut the dose in half since I got my SCS. I was hoping to get off altogether but that is not happening.
    Take care and good luck to all
  • I wish the pharmacies around here carried Avinza or Roxinol because they are both morphine sulfate. They aren't willing to pay the extra money to carry them. Tell me if this sounds really messed up, but it almost appears that they are "in bed" with the Endo, Ethex and Roxane pharmaceutical companies because they are much cheaper to order per pill. I know the economy is bad, but seriously? I hate to say it, but it always comes down to the dollar and not the quality of care. The above mentioned companies are the ones that have the MSIR and MS Contin on back order with a shortage in the NYC metro area. I was able to find a pharmacy out of the area who was able to order MS Contin from Cerner Multum, Inc. I have never heard of them, but I guess having one medication is better than nothing at all. I will keep you posted as to what my PM doc changes my meds to when I see him on 5/31. Thanks for all your help and for listening. It's scary not knowing what to do when you are forced to go through withdrawal because you were never given the chance to ween yourself off. Thank heavens I feel much better now and my pain level is under decent control again. I hope you never have to go through it!
  • I switched over to the generic Watson brand and take 60mg 3x's daily and had no problem getting it filled at my local mom and pop pharmacy. So far I have no problems getting my meds, including percocets. Does anyone out there take the Watson brand, and does it work as well as the name brand?
    Do you have Walgreens in the NYC area? I would think that all stores would carry Avinza. I currently take Avinza 30 mg's 2 x per day rather than 1-60 mg per day. It seems to work better for me. They are a 24 hr extended release med. I also take MS-IR 15 mg as needed for BT pain. With the meds and the SCS I finally have a life again. I was pretty much bed-ridden for almost three months waiting for the SCS. Now I'm back to work full time.

I'm confused I thought MS-IR is MS Contin?

I'm not sure what your issues are? Have you had to go without any meds because the pharmacies are out?
    I would not have waited until the 31st to see you PM if you are in uncontrolled pain. They are there to help Pain Management......

Hope the PM gets you relief.
  • I will check into what Walgreen's has. MS-IR is for BT pain and MS Contin is extended release to control the baseline pain. Both are morphine sulfate the time release factor is the only difference. I used to take both as prescribed by my PM doc. The extended release in the morning and after dinner. The MS-IR was for midday BT pain. I work very long hours so there were days that I was taking the two 30mg MS Contin (extended release) and up to two 15mg MS-IR. With a muscle relaxant because the spasms never seem to go away. As I said, I was able to go to a pharmacy out of the area to get the MS Contin this month so I have been without the MS-IR for nearly a month now. The PM doc told me to take 90mg MS Contin to control midday BTP with the muscle relaxant if needed in place of MS-IR. It's been a hellish nightmare, but I am getting by and able to work with the help of Lidoderm patches.

A little history:
    Herniated Disc L5-S1 11/2001
    To date: roughly 60 epidurals/nerve blocks, etc...
    PT 6 go's--I exercise when I'm not in pain on my own
    Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy 11/2003
    Laser Facet Deinervation 2004
    Anterior Spinal Fusion w.BMP L5-S1 3/2005
    Diagnosed failed fusion w. permanent nerve damage 2007
    Diagnosed adhesions on sciatic nerve 2006
    Diagnosed DJD/DDD 2005 (after surgery)

Current: Pain Management since 2005
    Arthritis/Bursitis in Left hip
    SI joint inflammation--another epidural
    scheduled on 6/20/2009.

Meds: Lyrica 75mg PRN, MS Contin 30mg 3x's/day, Soma 350mg PRN

I have pretty much tried everything under the sun as far as medications, but I will continue to look into where I can find other brand names of morphine sulfate because it has brought me the greatest relief without all the crappy side-effects. I do not want to ever be bed-ridden again and out on disability. I will go out of my mind!
    Looks like we are pretty much in the same boat with L5-S1 failed fusions and nerve damage. I work a nine hour day chained to a computer. After about 4hrs sitting my pain can go over the top. Thankfully between the SCS and meds I can make it thru the day.

Do you get any relief from the ESI's? They never decreased my pain at all. I had 4 rounds over the last three years.

Lyrica seemed to help me but thanks to my great insurance company refusing to pay for it I have to take neurontin.

Have you considered a SCS?
    I'm very thankful I have mine. I love the relief I get. Just wish I still didn't have to take meds along with it.

I know what you mean by not wanting to ever be bed- ridden on disibitliy again! At least if I'm out on disibility let me have the ability to hang out at the beach not bed!

Maybe some day soon Stem Cell research will come up with a miracle cure!

Good luck finding your meds.
  • In regard to certain Pharmacies being out of meds (like drug store chains, Wal-Mart's, Target's, etc....I suggest trying your nearest hospital's pharmacy. Just a thought, but as often as I've used them lately they never seem to be out of anything...perhaps because they're not utilized as much as the others.

• I am adjusting to my new BTP medication well. It took about a week. He prescribed dilaudid 8mg as needed for BTP. I still take the MS Contin in the morning and night. I got lucky because the pharmacy that was able to order it from Wisconsin can still get it. The only time I have ever taken dilaudid was in the injectible form at the hospital. That's what they give me when I have to go to the ER or after back surgery when they don't give morphine. So far, I am finding that while dilaudid works well and is far stronger than MSIR, it doesn't last nearly as long. It's trial and error right now to see what works as far as when to take it and how much. I haven't been able to take the full 8mg yet because as I said it's very strong. I usually only need 2-4mg and I feel much better and can get through my day without falling asleep. Just wanted to give you an update. You are absolutely right that Lyrica helps, but I get the swelling/bloating side effect in my hands, feet and eyelids. Sorry to hear that your insurance no longer covers it. I was taking neurontin before Lyrica, but broke out in hives. They say that they are just about the same medication, but they are wrong. Whatever works though right? Thanks again for listening Art!