Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upcoming ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Took the plunge earlier this week and scheduled two-level ACDF (c5-7) for late May. Must say it was not an easy decision, even though I clearly have lots of issues that are not getting better. I woke up today in the worst shape I've been in a long time, so perhaps it was confirmation that moving forward is the right choice.

Thanks to those of you who have provided info and answers to my questions via posts and PMs...it's helpful to have this type of resource for both research and support.

• Does not bring instant relief from the pain that leads us to the decision in the first place.

I thought once I had done my SCS trial and if it suceeded the emotion of knowing it would work would carry me through. Nah, not so much! I have had several of the worst weeks I have had period. I have been very validated!

Try and look at it as a sign that the surgery is a good idea! I try and remember it everday as I am scrambling home early from work to take me meds and wait for them to kick in!

Good luck with you ACDF! Kattoo is so far very happy she chose to have hers!
  • I had that exact surgery on March 30. I am doing very well. If you have any questions just ask. You can also PM me if you want. Good luck!
  • thanks wrambler and newfie...

I'm optimistic but have neutral expectations regarding the surgery...might sound weird, but I've learned from various other operations to not expect perfect outcomes...

My "status quo" is not acceptable to me any longer, and I refuse to medicate with anything stronger than Alleve, so tackling the root cause (literally, those pesky comprised c5 and c6 nerve roots) seems to be the best course of action at this point...

It would be cool if my neck pain is resolved, but I really want my right arm and shoulder back to a reasonable level of functionality...is that too much to ask?
  • My first surgery was at c5-6,c6-7 and it did get most of my problem cleared up. My case is not the norm so to speak since I had many problems to fix. After that first surgery the improvement was incredible, I was ready to do things that I couldn't, had to keep reminding myself to slow down. That was the hard part, recovering and doing next to nothing for 4-6 weeks. I hope that your surgery goes as well as mine did. Good luck and keep us posted.