Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Lower Back Pain
hello - new to this forum. i've had lower back pain (l4-5) for about 5 years. result of being hit by a car 20 years ago. was okay for 15 years but arthritis settled in the area that had been damaged all those years ago. then, 5 years ago, got out of my car and my back "broke." been struggling with facet degeneration, herniated disc and arthritis. i've had facet blocks, rfl (didn't work at all), p.t. (which did help once but a repeat course didn't), massage and chiropracty (also no help). i've also been on vicodin and now percocet and i suppose i'm addicted though i only take 2 a day and very occasionally 3 sometimes only one. but after 12 hours without any, i feel terrible - hurt and restless. i saw a surgeon and i'm going to have a microdiscectomy at the end of may. it's the last resort. even though i don't have much leg pain (have lots of hip pain and back pain) i'm going to do it. the surgeon thinks it will help. i'm not terribly optomistic (other docs have said i'm not a candidate for surgery) but i'm at the end of my rope - don't know what else to do. i want to get off pain meds and live a whole life - not just a half, as i'm now doing.
i'd appreciate ANY comments, suggestions, ideas from you.
thanks. very much.

• I know how you feel about being at the end of your rope. This is a hard & frustrating road to go down!
  • I understand your reasoning after so long with pain. I have facet joint problems also but after 14 months I'm starting to feel better with facet joint injs. and ESI's but I'm not there yet... I really don't know what I would do after so many years in pain but I would rather try other meds first. Have you tried the fentanyl patch? I maybe would like a 2nd opinion but it's your choice. I hope things work out for you. When's the OR? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had my microdicectomy in November 08 my pain was mostly in my left hip and leg, my surgeon told me that if the pain is all in your back and not in your legs it wont help much but if you have alot of leg pain it will, the only thing about the micro that is bothering me now is the scar tissue and nerve pain, my muscle stays so tight and burns like fire.if you have the surgery dont forget to get the things that are helpful a graber from wally world and a sock puller those are the the items that helped me the most , keeps you from having to bend.
This discussion has been closed.