Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgery excercises

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
In September 2008 I had a lumbar lamentomy fusion. I just had another x-ray and the prognosis from the surgeon seems promising. I am grossly out of shape and need to start getting back in shape. I still experience sensation such as pain when I turn when sleeping and I want to get my abdominal muscles back in tone. I am 55 years old and in realtive good health. Aside from walking is the a start program to rebuilding by stomache?

• The best thing for you to do would be to go to a physical therapist that specializes in orthopedic cases -- specifically spinal, if you can find one. This way you will be learning the proper way to move your body and will be learning the proper way to go about building up your core strength.

In addition to getting back into shape, you will want to learn proper body mechanics and posture. This will help to keep you from developing future spinal problems.

It is very important that you keep your muscles in balance. You do not want to strengthen your abs without strengthening the corresponding muscles in your back. Keeping your body in balance is very important after spinal surgery.

If this is not a possibility, there are a number of good books that are available from one of the online book sellers that would show you exercises to rehab the back after back surgery.
  • :H Welcome to the forum. :H

I hope you find the answers to your questions. Good luck and have a really great day! :)

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • I did visit a PT and found absolutely nothing to help me. I'm not sure if the therapist was being very conservative, but by the time I had my first appointment I was doing far more than the excercises they had prescribed. I was very disappointed and canceled my next appointment. My PT is only covered as an out of network provider (very costly). Can you recommend any of the books? Thank you for your response.