Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello Everyone

NomadNNomad Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in New Member Introductions
Greetings All,
I guess I jumped the gun and posted a comment before introducing myself, sorry! (http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/numbness-after-surgery

Let's see, I'm a 42 year old male who has been dealing with back pain/issues for 17 years. I was very active until a work injury changed all that when I was 25. I had a root nerve decompression of the L4-5. I could not go back to my job so I had to be retrained.

Around 5 1/2 years the back and leg pain started again and it basically was the same disc causing the issue, plus DDD and stenosis. Unfortunately after several CT's and MRI's a neurosurgeon told me he could not do anything for me. So since then I have been living with chronic pain and my life has been on hold because any activities I do jeopardize my ability to do my job. So, I could not do any sports interact with my young kids, do house hold chores. etc. without causing my back to "flare up" and miss work. I have been at my job for 6 years and I probably have missed almost a year worth of time because of my back.

At the moment I'm recovering from a 3 level lumbar decompression fusion I had in January and a subsequent surgery in February to fix an CSF leak. I had a 3 week stay at the hospital because of complications which I'm still suffering from. The worst one is the numbness in by left buttocks and groin region. Please read my post here: http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/numbness-after-surgery

Recovery seems very slow, I'm still in worse shape than I was before surgery. I guess it's still early in the process.

Thanks for letting me rant!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am gald you stopped by and let yourself rant!! =D> that is one of the things we are here for :D so anytime!!! give yourself some more time and one morning soon, you are going to wake up feeling different, better, on the road to recovery!! <:P good luck and stop by anytime! :D if you are feeling really bad you should let your doctor know!! :-C take care! Jenny :)
  • Yes, it's still early in the fusion for you. From everything I'm reading it takes almost a year to see where you'll really be when everything is fused and the muscle and nerves have settled out.

After my first fusion ALIF on L4/L5 in July/08, I had many nerve related feelings and numbness and shocks and pain spikes afterwards. Turns out that I had too much movement in my vertebras and caused a cage to bump out into my spinal canal, causing bad pain with every movement I made. I had a PLIF to place hardware from L3 to L5 in Dec. 08 and still have some issues, but nothing like before. My low back is so much tighter and feels like it should feel, if that makes any sense. I still get achey and spasm if I stand on my feet for a long time cooking or cleaning or if I bend too much. I need to continue the PT exercises that I learned right before returning to work in Feb. this year.

Have you had PT? That helped me a lot so that I didn't feel so stiff in the places that were too tight. Just the leg work itself helped with my flexibility.

It's a long road and I still have symptoms and feelings that I don't understand. I'm always thinking about my back or my neck.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Nomad

Welcome to the SH forum and chat. It was great meeting you today and hope you will become a regular chatter.
    It is a great site for giving and getting support and a laugh

TC Liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thank you all for the warm welcome!
  • :H hi nomad, im new too nice to meet you
  • O:) I hope your pain eases soon....Take care
    Tracy xx