Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lyrica and neurontin

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Pain Medications
My question is are neurontin and lyrica the same chemical make-up?My Dr. wanted me to take lyrica & my insurance said they will only cover the generic "Gabapentin" When I looked on the internet- it looked like the generic is called "pregabalin".I have been told there is no generic for lyrica but was also told that Gabapentin was the same thing as lyrica.Does anyone know if gabapentin is the same as lyrica chemically?I had taken lyrica brand name before & it helped and tried neurontin before that & didn't seem to get as much of a good result so now I am confused.Anyone who can shed some light on this- it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Neurontin's generic gabapentin is an older chemical formula from Lyrica. Lyrica is the latest greatest, for some it works where gabapentin didn't and for others, it doesn't work as well as the older formula.

I've tried both. I couldn't tell I was taking Lyrica at all. But the Neurontin/gabapentin seems to help me a little bit. I only take it at night before bed 600mg. It seems to help me sleep as an added bonus.

One thing on the Lyrica versus Neurontin...Lyrica seems to be making folks gain some weight, where Neurontin doesn't seem as bad on that issue.

You can use the SEARCH box at the top of the page and put in Lyrica...and read lots of posts about it and folks have posted their experiences.

Good luck with trying these out.
  • Lyrica helps my nerve pain better than Neurontin did. They are similar but not identical. I also had a little paranoia with the Neurontin, that I do not have with Lyrica. Lyrica is also easier on my stomach.

It is more expensive for me $45 co-pay vs $10 for Neurontin, but in my case it is the best choice.
  • i see you are new to the forum and i wanted to welcome you!! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i prefer the Lyrica, but there is indeed a weight gain, atleast for me!! ~X( stop by anytime! :D Jenny :)