Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unforseen problem

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, now I'm thinking of about options for suing nurses in the hospital. When I was in there for surgery, EVERY ONE OF THE NURSES said that my hip pain was due to bone graft (& spasms) and would disappear over time.
I went for my post op appt w/ my ortho yesterday, and he informed me the he NEVER did a bone graft. he uses bone growth stimulator. He also said that my hip pain is very abnormal (never had pain like this before surgery). He is looking into writitng up every one of the nurses who were in charge of my care, as no one ever told him of this problem.
Anyway, he did some x-rays, then immediately sent me for a CT scan. He now says that one of the screws in my back is loose, and is compressing a nerve in my hip. If I don't have this taken care of ASAP, I could lose use of this leg. I have already lost partial use.
I am becoming very depresssed, and not sure what to do except go along w/ what the doctor says to get this fixed. (hopefully)
I am now on several new meds, (Dilaudid) Ambien, And stronger Valium)
Thank you for letting me vent >:D< and any advice or suggestions are always appreciated....

P.S. I have a total of 2 long rods, 5 long screws, 3 cages, and 6 pedicle screws in my back right now. Or so I'm told }:) I'm not sure what to believe any more.

• Kim,

I am so sorry you are having all these problems. I don't quite understand why the nurses said the pain was from the graft, did they not notice the lack of an incision there? Your doctor may be right, so for the time being you may want to follow up on what he suggest, but if your problem prevails or if you are not satisfied with what he is doing, you may need to get a second opinion.

Hope you will find relief soon,

• I am so sorry that you are having to go thru this horrible time. You have my number. Call me if you need a shoulder to cry on. I am here for you. You are in my prayers

• That really sucks, if either surgeon or hospital attempts to bill you for this repair definately seek legal council.

You may be suprised if you get ahold of the nursing notes as more often then not nurses do mention things like this to the Dr and they ignore it or shrug it off, then when an occurance happens they go in complete denial.
  • I'm so sorry you had this happen. I wonder what really happened? I'd agree that you should ask for the notes and then review them to see if you can find a reason.

I Hope the doctor can get you OK again. I'm surprised he is waiting at all if that screw is endagering your nerves and loose. I'd be telling him to forget about the nurses and get in there and fix it!
  • First you have to prove that the nurses violated the standard of care. That means what would a reasonable, similarly trained, nurse do in the same circumstances.

Did they ever look at your hip to see if you had an incision? That's your word only. Did they document that they did? When you ask for records you must ask for nurses' notes AND doctor's orders too.

Did you have any witnesses in the room when the nurses did any assessments or told you that?

I would get my records. Rather than sue, I would report them to the hospital's risk management department. Make an appointment to come in and sit down with them. Most important is getting you well, that is your first priority. Then, stopping anyone else from being in your situation. Risk management might have the power to waive your bill. They may not call it risk management, maybe quality/utilization review, etc.
  • Can you get nurses/doctors notes after they leave the hospital?

I know while in the hospital our nursing supervisor per request can come up and allow patient/patient advocate/family to thread through their charts but not nurses notes.
  • You have the right to ask for a copy of the Surgical and Hospital report (including nurses notes). Generally it is free, sometimes they charge a small fee for copying it, if it is over a certain number of pages (my hospital gives out the free report if it is less than 20 pages). I think everybody should have it, you never know when you need it, plus it is interesting to read.

• I am sorry that you are going through this ordeal. It is bad enough that you are in pain and to learn that there was a miscommunication.

You should get a copy of your medical records. I received mine with no charge. And there were two errors on them. One was a minor, so I let it go. The other one---I asked the nurse to change the notes because it was wrong.

It was surprising to find errors on my records. For example, it stated that I said my employer would not take me back unless I had another surgery. I never said that and I don't think any employers would make a demand like that.
  • I think it's best that you now have a diagnosis and can get fixed up. I understand your frustration and depression. It seems like your number one priority is to have whatever procedure you need in order to take care of the problem and worry about all the ramifications later. I can totally understand your anger...I'd be furious! The surgery you had was hard enough to recover from without complications and sub-par care. I've found that keeping a daily diary really helps with keeping all of your symptoms and feelings recorded, it might come in handy later on. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers; let us know what you decide to do. I really think the most important thing is to take care of you and get this fixed before you have anymore loss of movement. Hugs...
  • You can contact the patient relations Manager and the number is probaly listed on the hospital website or call the hospital switchboard. I think it would be beneficial as the staff will learn to watch for that if it ever happens to another Patient again. As a Nurse myself I make the Dr do a round every evening. But you can look at your chart also as the Patient Relations Manager will have your chart and they would check if the Nurses notified the on call Dr. I'm sad that happened to you. It's rough when there's complications after having your surgery and it's you who have to go through so much pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN