Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Gastric Bypass and meds

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Pain Medications
Was wondering if there was information on the board from gastric bypass surgery patients who are also dealing with chronic pain and how they get their PM doc to understand that medication leaves the system much quicker than someone who has not had this type of surgery?? Any help would be so greatly appreciated from this subscriber NEW to this awsome board (:

• Paul Thanks so much for confirming what I thought was the case with the patch. Now if I could only get my PM doc to listen...I have an appt. Monday i'm going to try again-Thanx!! Linda
  • I don't really have any knowledge about this, but have a friend who just had lap band and is facing a fusion. I know she drinks liquid norco and crushes meds as she cannot swallow pills whole, but I will ask her if she knows about metabolism.
  • I too have had gastric bypass. I tell my PM doc about malabsorbation issues but I don't think he understands it either. He keeps wanted to put me on a long acting pain med. At the last appt I said I would try it. He put me on oxycontin every eight hours. I works for about 3. I have had trouble with others meds not lasting also. Hope you can get your PM doc to understand.
  • reason why i will not have gastric bypass surgery soley based on my chronic pain issues. current plan is still working.
    i have lost 26 pounds in 13 weeks!

they refused to listen to me as well. labeled me resistant to treatment-which has now caused my ssdi claim to be denied again.

if your doctor is not listening to you, try bringing a statement from another doctor.
  • My problem is losing my meds due to a "productive burp" or some say "throwing up" but it really isn't the same thing. The "productive burp" just empties the pouch but not the stomach.

I have just started going to a PM dr. about 2 months ago and I need to constantly remind him of pill sizes and when/if to retake meds if I lose them.

I will absorb the meds correctly if they make it through my band into my stomach but I have a hard time getting them through especially if you have to take them with food.

Forget about extra meds if you lose any though, that is way too taboo.

• I had gastric bypass Jan 06,and I am currently taking lyrica 3xdaily 50mg. The doc has been suggesting increasing the dosage. For those of you who dont know weight gain is a side effect of Lyrica. I already dont get alot of exercise but now I am taking drugs that cause weight gain. NOW WHAT DO I DO????