Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No pain medications......questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hi. I am new here. I've had two back surgeries. The last was a lumbar spinal fusion in 2002.

Anyway...my question is....Is there ANYONE that deals with a great deal of pain on a daily basis who does NOT take any kind of prescription pain medication?

I have a tons of "issues" (was married to an alcoholic/addict, pain meds just mess up my head but don't help with the pain, etc).

Sometimes I feel like I am the only one in the world who does not take meds......please tell me your experience.

• Linda, welcome to spine-health.

I too have a big phobia of taking any narcotic pain med. I went forever saying I don't want them, but finally gave in to taking Tramadol. It works like a narcotic but doesn't have the same side effects. It doesn't do a lot for me, but it does take the edge off and make it so that I can deal with it, at least sometimes.

The combination of cymbalta, tramadol, neurontin, and an anti-inflammatory such as mobic is supposed to be very good with handling chronic nerve pain. Those are the meds that I take at this time.

My point is there are options that are not as addictive or hard on your body. I also do some bio-feedback, and my TENS unit and an ice pack are my best friends. I think the TENS is what keeps me off of heavier medications.

Good luck!
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!