Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lifestyle Changes, just need to share

LeftbackLLeftback Posts: 404
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Matters of the Heart
We have enjoyed our pool for 22 years. Wonderful memories and good times, my kids grew up living in the pool year after year, but the tides of life change.

Sad but true.... we just don't use it enough anymore to make the investment today and long term worthwhile. Even at the best of times a pool requires continued maintenance, upkeep, money for chemicals, etc. or hire someone to do it for you. We don't want to move yet the old pool needed attention so we had to decide whether to give it a new look or move forward. We decided it was time for change.

We had it filled in. The day they drained it I cried. It was hard for me when they put drain holes in the bottom(per regulation) and took off the coping because I knew there was no turning back. But in my heart I knew it was the right thing for us to do. By the time they filled it with dirt my attitude changed and I was actually relieved and happy to know we would soon have a large concrete patio/deck! Yesterday they filled the top with concrete to meet our original deck and it looks great! We'll have a wonderful place to enjoy life outdoors yet virtually no work, just hose it off! And my husband is joking about making a shuffle board area too! LOL!

Life changes,kids grow up, health changes, BUT I am thankful for my husband, my sons, the health we do have, the things I have and can do to enjoy life as it changes!

I just wanted to share my story because I know we all struggle with the daily challenges and compromise daily because of our back issues and pain. But together, sharing, ups/downs/challenges we learn to survive!

Thanks for being here!

• hi, :H i was wondering if, having back problems, that pool was a real health benefit? :? a form of pain control all in itself! :D i am happy you are happy.. have fun with whatever you do with your new space! =D> Jenny :)
  • would have been sad too. The pool offers me AMAZING pain relief. We have a salt-water filtration, gunite pool though, and it has almost no maintenance. I guess that's a huge difference. This is the first year we've ever had a pool, and had we known it was possible to have a pool with 5 minutes of maintenance a day max, we would have had one much sooner!

Glad you're at peace with it!!

• It's true pools are alot of work maintaining it. We moved to this house 2 years ago and just had the above ground pool removed as we couldn't maintain it. I may have kept it had I have known I would need pool therapy though. That's great to have a nice deck though. Have fun! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for the support!

Jenny,pools can be great PT but the work to keep up the pool is not good for your back. So what's the use...LOL! My biggest problem was I had a hard time getting in/out of the pool the past 3+ years and right now would be impossible.

Cheri,I always thought anyone that filled in a pool had to be crazy!!! Uh,oh, maybe we are...LOL! Our pool was old (22 years, most pools need redone much sooner)and pools need more work/chemicals to maintain as they age. Pools are wonderful in the right "season of life" and if we were younger, the kids home more, we would not have hesitated to keep the pool! Also, my husband has hit S.S. age yet we need health ins. for me as I'm younger and have these back issues so we had to rethink lifestyles. I might be jealous of you come summer! I really hope you enjoy your pool for years to come! I wish you many wonderful memories as you and your family play poolside! Enjoy this season of your life as much as you can!

Charry, the pool is good PT. I have friends with pools and plan to take up their offers to use theirs when I can! And we won't have to do all the work and spend the money...free PT! LOL! Maybe you will consider putting another above ground pool in someday...could you get in/out of it? They make new pools like above ground to inflate that look good for PT, not too big...maybe something like that is in your future. For me, I'm thinking a hot tub might be nice someday down the road....but for now I look forward to taking in the sun while reading a book on our deck!

Have a pain free evening!
  • Enjoy the deck!

I understand you're decision in many ways. We had close friends that had a pool similar in age to yours redone due to cometics/leaks and coping work needing done. The bill for it all ended up at $30,000. They were told it would have been less expensive to fill the pool as you did and put a new one in somewhere else! They just did not have the layout to pull that off!

A friendly neighbor with a heated pool is a friend indeed :D
  • A hot tub sounds lovely but hear the electrician costs alot to install a special plug but good luck now is the time to buy when things are on sale. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You are right! I agree with your friends about starting new! We paid $10,000 for this pool 22 years ago, 16x32, 3' low end - 9' deep end, diving board, deck around it and fence...they don't even make them like that anymore! Now it is like you mentioned, double to triple to hsve redone. We have a double lot so we could build again, it just wouldn't be directly out the back door or if we sold the house others could build one if they wanted to. We are happy and looking forward to BBQ's and good times relaxing out there!In a few weeks when the concrete is cured we will have it all(new and old) painted to match then we can really enjoy it!
  • I read an advertisement from the pool store about a hot tub that uses regular 110 outlet and suppose to be easy to set up and use. We might check it out for curiousity sake. you sure are right that now is the time to buy but I think we'll be happy to enjoy the deck for awhile w/o anything to worry about! LOL! Hmmmm....unless when we check it out it's too good to be true! LOL!