Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LeftbackLLeftback Posts: 404
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I'm 6 months post fusion as of yesterday and my Dr. finally let me start PT this week! YEA! Monday nearly killed me but I think the weather more to do with it than the PT, Wed. was good and today went really well. I was even able to life my weak left leg with weights on them! Yea! I'm going back to familiar faces at the same place that took care of me in the past so I was glad to get started. They know my history, conditions, and give me a good workout yet don't push or over do it knowing my history and conditions/nerves.

I wish all of you good luck and improvement daily!

• That's fantastic news. All the best for your recovery
  • Thanks for the encouragement! I hope you have good days in your future too!

• I had a decompression laminectomy fusion and bone graft on May 11, 2009 at L4/5. I have a follow up visit with the surgeon on June 22. I am anxious to know when I can start physio? I am going stircrazy. I walked for about 15 minutes yesterday and am feeling it this morning? Any advice on ANY exercises/stretches I can do until i start physio. It is next to impossible to get intouch with my surgeons office to ask such a mundane questions? Any suggestions would be most welcome.
  • Wow, I remember those early post-fusion days so well. I can only give you this advise: Remember this surgery takes time and patience to recover. You are barely a month out so don't try to do anything except walk,rest, walk, rest. The best advice, advice only, from my experience is to get up and walk around frequently, small walks often are better than doing alot at once. I think it builds strength and stamina to do it like that. The one thing I did in bed was wiggle my feet up/down but don't raise your legs or anythin until the dr. tells you to, no exercises until your dr. tells you what to do, when or sends you to PT. My dr. didn't start me on any PT until 6 months out(He knew my problems) but every dr./patient has different circumstances so listen to your dr.

To keep from going stir crazy visit us here on SH, read, tv, movies, call friends,family, do whatever it takes to keeep your mind busy...there is the list of 52 (or?) things to do after surgery on this site with great ideas to help.
    I feel for you because I truly know how hard it is. My recovery is slow so I still go stir crazy at times myself. Some days are long,boring and other days everyone calls/visits so I am busy/tired and the time passes faster than I expected. I assure you each week, month you will feel/see progress and it will get better and you will be able to do more! Then you will need to worry about doing too much too soon! So just remember it takes time AND no bending, lifting, twisting! Walk, rest, walk.I hope you had a good report from the Dr. Let me know and if I can answer anything else I will try to.
  • Leftback, so glad to hear you have started your pt and so far so good!! :D this is the next stage of your recovery and go for it with a vengeance! :T just don't hurt yourself or disobey the doctor's order's!! LOL! hang in there and you will be on top of the world in no time.. =D> Jenny :)