Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Well..Now I have my answer

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well.. I have my answers to whats been going on.. Its sure NOT tennis elbow like the doctors had been saying. According to the MRI.. I have a herniated disc in the c3-c4 range with significant spinal cord compression. Also there is some kind of protrusion and arthrirtis in the c6-c7 area. Since the only insurance i have is medicaid.. the NS they referred me to refuses to see me. So they passed me on to an Orthopedic surgeon. he cant even get me in to see him until June 1st.
they have me on percacets for the arm pain.. but thery might as well be tic tacs for no more good then they are doing.
I dont mean to whine and complain because I know there are a lot if you on here that are worse off than i am and I am sorry for that. but tennis elbow??? Give me a break!!!!
Anyway.. I'm thru feeling sorry for myself and will be back around to try and lend support to the rest of you again. I like this group. Bless all of you.

• Chef_Twisty, I'm glad you were able to get a diagnosis. I understand exactly what you are going through.

This is so weird because I went through the exact same thing. I went to mye GP initially for leg pain and he said I had bursitis. Then my elbow starting hurting so much I could barely use my right arm. He diagnosed me with tennis elbow and even had me wear an arm brace. I then went to see him because I had severe pain in my neck and thought it was a swollen gland and he said nothing was wrong with me. I asked him if he would at least refer me to an ENT. After THREE visits to the ENT who also could not find anything wrong the ENT ordered an MRI (I'm sure just to make me go away). Within 2 hours of the MRI the ENT called me and referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. He said to call him immediately! I had two herniated discs with severe stenosis. You would think a GP would add up leg pain + arm pain + neck pain and maybe think "could it be her spine?" All he ever did was bloodwork!

You should not feel bad about saying anything about your pain. All pain matters. If it helps, the only thing that relieved some of my pain until I could have surgery was steroids. Muscle relaxers and pain meds did not seem to help at all.

I hope it does not feel like an eternity until June. I wish you the best.

• I'm glad you have a diagnosis, but sorry you have to wait until June to see a surgeon. Steroids might help, along with a strong muscle relaxer, pain patches, and heat or ice depending on your preferences. While you are waiting try not to over-use your spine. Bending, lifting heavy stuff, etc. isn't good when you have this type of problem. Hang in there.....oh, still waiting on the cheesecake =))

• I wrote nothing about constipation!!!! LOL ~X( Isn't it amazing what minds of their own computers have!
  • Well now you have the diagnosis. I wish you the best for your appt with the OrthoSurgeon. And Maggie hat did you do for that situation? I'm still waiting for the chocolate bar pie? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I used an ortho surgeon and I'm pretty sure he did a pretty good job. I went and saw a couple of surgeons before making my decision on who was going to operate. June 1st seems so far away, especially when your in so much pain. Good luck.
  • Chef, I had the same tennis elbow-type pain you're experiencing and ice helped mine a lot. Also, wearing one of those tennis elbow bands helps in between icing.

• Hey Maggie P...could constipation be related to that cheescake you're trying to get? =))
  • It might be at that! =))
  • Hey Chef,

I can say I have seen many here that have had the same dx as you with the tennis elbow. Usually it takes a good doc to look at all the symptoms and add them up to look at the neck. For myself when they were saying my neck, I was like it is not my neck it is my arm. Although at first I did have a doc diagnosis me with tennis elbow as well. But a MRI revealed the true story very quickly and that was put to rest. Is there anyway you can give a doc to give you something for nerve pain suck as lyrica or nuerontin? In my experience the pain meds just don't touch nerve pain. You are so correct saying it like taking candy. They do give a little relief with the muscles involved and the inflammation pain but that is about all. Hang in there June is a long time to wait, maybe in the meantime you can see if your going to need a second opinion and get that appointment scheduled as well. Just a thought to keep some of the waiting down. Keep us posted on how it goes.