Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

how much can a body put up with??

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Chronic Pain
i was wondering {at 3am up again in horrible pain} just how much can a human put up with this relentless torturous regime of constant pain and lack of sleep and the constant barrage of toxic drugs.before something gives out .IE heart attack /stroke etc .i know that over the last 3 years my general health has gone down hill and like my friends on here .i too pick up communal illnesses very quickly .everything i try to do is an major effort .there was a time {even in pain .granted not as bad as it is now } where i could get up /shower /walk the dog /wash the car/go for a swim/go to walmart for food shopping/and enjoy an evening with my wife. now i spend most of my time trying to catch up on sleep and if i manage to do any one of the things that i have mentioned .i am wiped out for days afterwards .due to intractable pain.this is not only a worry but embarrassing .i see old men in there 70s/80s walking past my house with there dogs .and there are out for hours then i see the same men washing there cars /doing there gardens etc .i carnt help feeling a little jealous! as for sex .no chance my poor old back just carnt take it ..god and i am only 42 !!! just thought i would share that with you and was wondering if any of you fell the same way??

• G'morning Straker. I too, am up and in pain tonight. Yesterday I had to go to my Doctors office to pick up a script for pain meds and do a tiny bit of shopping. Today I am wiped out and am in a lot of pain. I am so tired I ache all over.
    In January I was able to walk wirhout a cain but now have to use one all the time. I have to walk on my pain and it is torture!! I now have to have help with my cleaning. I can no longer manage the basement steps whare the washer is. I no longer drive because of all the meds I am on.
    I am slowly going down hill and see the day I will be in a wheel chair. I hated having to use a cain all the time but I was falling so much I had to do it. The last time I fell it was out front in the middle of the street and had traffic blocked both ways because I can't get up on my own. I knew someone would stop and help me up if they did not run over me first. I was cracking ribs when I fell. Just what I needed.....more pain!!
    I never go out in the winter because of my fear of colds. The last time I had a cold was a few years ago and it was very hard on me then. In the weak state i am now in a cold would put me in the hospital or kill me and I am not yet ready to go.
    I am so sorry to know things are so bad for you tonight.
    When I told a friend that I was going to try the SCS implant but would have to wait a couple more weeks he said....Oh the time will fly by, just wait and see. HAH!! The days will drag coz every day drags when you are in pain dosn't it? I said nothing coz no one understands chronic pain unless they have been in the same boat do they?
    I do not know how much we can take. I know I am not the same person I use to be. I am on a down hill slide.
    Best to you.
    Hugsssss >:D<
    Patsy W
  • good morning! :H drop by the "Sleep Problems" forum if you are up at night. :O) it can make a long night go by much quicker. =D> i am sorry you cannot sleep because of pain.. i am awake as well. pretty much used to it now.. i try and nap in the daytime and doze in the evening.. (|: it is working well not battling sleep every night. right now i am ill with something other than pain and it just drags me down even more.. like the pain isn't enough!!! :''( i feel if i wasn't ill with back pain, that maybe i would be better at fighting off this other illness!! ~X( i am tired!! (|: you are too! (|: Jenny :)
  • just wanted to pass over a gentle hug to you, i so know where your coming from. as for nasty peeps id say "nose in air and middle finger "!! come find me for chat any time jan x
  • I honestly can't understand some folk's nerve to say that especially when they don't know the whole story. I've let all my neighbors know I had a back injury so that's why I'm off. I'm a homebody too and when I was working I never spent enough time at home. But I'm sure making up for it now. As for the other thing my husband said it's not important right now and I believe him. I hope you're feeling better soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • It's funny how people think we are "lucky" to not be working. People have said to me "I wish I didn't have to work" If only they could walk a day in our shoes! I'd rather be teaching my precious preschool class, more than anything! Being home all day is boring and lonely, we all know. The able bodies are jealous of us and we of them, crazy. Your question, how much can a body take? I think we've all learned that severe debilitating pain cannot kill us. Even though we may feel like we are dying. Figuring out how to LIVE this way is a challenge for us all. When people lash out and say rude things to you, remember most of what people say has everything to do with them, and very little to do with you. People with small minds and no heart do not deserve our attention. I understand what you're going through, I think we all do.
    Faith M
  • Hey straker. Be strong man. Be strong. The human being can take a tremendous amount of pain-- I say that from personal experience. I'm sorry to hear that you're in horrible pain, but I believe you'll break through it. One thing I've noticed on this site is that peoples emotional pain is so noticeable. I love the honesty I so often find here. I understand your dilemma, and it appears that you're in a deep funk. I know EXACTLY what it's like to feel frustrated, helpless and hopeless, and to pose witness to one's own physical decline. Yeah, that's a hard road. I get it. But it doesn't have to last forever. It'll pass man. Fight hard for better days ahead, and always remember there's a wealth of people out there who completely relate to where your coming from. I too have neighbors that ask "So, still not back to work huh?". It used to kill me, but now I just smile. They have NO idea how chronic pain can disable a human being on every level---physical, spiritual, emotional, mental. People who lack understanding usually have never made an effort to try to understand. That makes them, in my book, A**HOLES. Be kind to yourself man. Yes, it hurts deeply to see others twice your age out there being active. You're singing to the choir on that one dude. It doesn't mean you won't be out there again, and maybe sooner than you think. I've read a lot of your responses on others posts, and you're always there to help those in need. That makes you stronger than you know, and speaks volumes about your character. Good on ya man! As my departed Grandpa used to say..."Tough times never last. Tough people do." Remain strong

• sometimes i just want to wear a tee shirt with yes i am in pain 24/7 now be nice to me {or something like that} because i dont look ill i have been called a social security scrounger /get abuse from older people when i park in disabled bays {i have a valid blue badge} and some of my nasty neighbour's have shouted things like get a job you lazy baxxxxd .i wish my pain on them !!.and see how they would like it.i tend to stay in my house as much as possible .not only because i am ill and like my home comforts {i have a very nice house }and this is why the horrible people that give me abuse see what we have got the house and the nice cars and me not working and they get jealous. the only reason we can have nice things is because kath..my wife is a health professional and the job pays well other wise we would live in a dump! i would live in a field if i could trade for good health
  • support sometimes it gets a bit too much .you know! i just wish i was not in this state .i look at myself and i think to myself where have you gone what has happen to you? i was a fit powerful {strong} man but this crash and subsequent operations and constant drug taking have kicked my arse big time .i have lost my fitness even swimming half kills me and i could swim a mile a day {that's 64 lengths of a UK pool} now i am lucky if i can manage 20 .then its time for home and recliner /more pain killers and TENS strapped to me .i want me life back !!! i am sure you all do to .i know i am living in a fantasy land with that one but sometime i feel like a moan! thanks again for listening
  • Being a "glass half-full" kind of gal, I would offer to you a ray of hope in the new medical developments that are in the works,on the horizon, and hopefully not too far away. Research is also working hard to find better ways to understand the causes of pain and to find ways to control it better. You are a young man. You will still be able to benefit from some of these wonderful new technologies.

In the meantime do what you can to keep your strength. Is there anything you could do to help someone else? If you can sit in a chair, you probably could help out in the office of a non-profit for a few hours per week...or if you have one of those "call chains" in your area, you could volunteer to call an elderly person just to check in. I'm just throwing out a couple ideas -- I don't know what possibilities might be available in your area -- but there are almost always ways you can give a couple hours of your time. Others will benefit and you probably will, too.
  • I think it is normal for people in our position to go through different "ladders" of how they feel. I have days that Iam so depressed and lonely(while everyone is at work and the kids at school)that I lay in bed and cry all day.I know exactly how you feel, it really pisses me off when people say "try to go for walks", "get out and go shopping". They just don't understand that it is a big chore for us and that we pay for it for days afterwards.
    I wish that there were better words to tell you, but all I can say is we are all in this together and it is always okay to tell us how you are feeling!!!
  • Well I usually go through about 2-3 days without sleep from being in so much pain at night, but when I am tired enough I will sleep about 2-3 hours maybe. It is so hard and I think one of the worst things about being in chronic pain 24/7 is the lack of sleep. Many say the flexiril helps them sleep, I cant take it, it gives me terrible side effects like RLS restless legs, its the worst side effect in the world.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    It is really amazing to see how much our bodies can withstand.
    I believe that physically we can handle all that is dished out to us, the problem comes with handling it emotionally.
    When you get hit with pain and problems day after day, you start to lose hope and you sort of give into the pain.
    Once that happens, the negative cycle will just continue and continue.
    How do you stop it?
    You just have to realize that you do have the control of whats going on. You may not be able to comfort the pain, but you know what you can do and what you cant
    For some people, its easy to give up and let the pain overwhelm them. When that happens, its just a matter of time watching that downward spiral continue and continue
    Then we have folks like yourself. Straker. I know you have been through a lot and its not easy. But I also see a strength in you that can take on anything. And at times that is just what is needed. No holds bare, just get in and take care of the situation at hand. If its pain. we learn to fight it, if its depression, we learn to appreciate what we have There is no simple answer, each situation is unique... The beauty of it all, we do have each other to bounce things around
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • It's obvious you have a lot of stress over the pain, your insomnia, the neighbors' comments, the shame you feel when seeing people older than yourself doing activities you cannot do, etc. The pain won't kill you, but the stress might do it. You really need to try and reduce your stress levels. This will help lower your pain level as well as boost your immune system.

I find it helps to keep a sense of humor and a good attitude. Enjoy yourself any time you're able, to make up for the times you can't, and don't feel guilty about it. Be nice to yourself. Indulge yourself with comfort foods, if you can avoid gaining weight that will worsen your spine problems. Eat healthy foods, at least. Remove as much stress from your life as possible, including your worries about what the neighbors and other insensitive people may think or say. To stay healthy, take vitamins and use things such as "Airborne" and cold preparations containing zinc, if you're exposed to a cold.

Live one day at a time so that you can enjoy the days when you're feeling a bit better and can quickly forget those days when you're feeling really bad. Don't worry how you will feel tomorrow, because that's tomorrow. It also helps to have lots of cable TV channels and the internet to fill those long, sleepless hours. If this doesn't work for you, try a different type of distraction -- a book, music, crossword puzzles, etc. Anything that will occupy your mind for a while. When you do feel sleepy, don't fight it -- take a nap.

DDD, spinal stenosis, bone spurs, herniated discs, ruptured discs, "missing" discs that have completely degenerated, nerve impingement, spinal cord impingement, you name it. I've had two multilevel laminectomy-fusion-instrumentation type surgeries -- cervical C4-C5-C6 in December, 2006 and lumbar L3-L4-L5 just over a month ago on March 12, 2009. I'm a pretty happy camper, overall, but like others I have plenty of pain and often don't sleep much at night, so I'm about to go take a nap and I say, "To heck with anybody who thinks I shouldn't." Ha.
  • mentioned my friend .i am the guy that people go to when they need someone to talk too! .i am just going through a rough patch at the moment i know it will pass .i am not a quitter .and i am not a depressive type of person despite constant pain my latest thing to help me is swimming when i can and i have quit smoking as from today {Sunday 19 April 2009} yay me !! so as you can see i do try and try and....
  • Hiya, my friend. I'm sorry you've hit a big speed bump. You're a kind, thoughtful and giving person and I'm sad that you're having such a tough time.

You've been through so much and it's so difficult when more keeps piling on. I know there's nothing I can say to make you feel better, but want you to know I'm thinking of you and wishing you better days. They're waiting for you somewhere down the road, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Gentle hugs to you my friend.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    as you yourself said, youve been through this before you will probably go through it again and you know what you have to do to get past this one right now.

It has to be a bit harder while at the same time, you are quitting smoking
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • You seem to always have a pulse on what is going on in our minds. I too have wondered how am I going to turn out years ahead with all that is going on today. I'm tired of the monotonous days and sleepless nights. I know some say they wish they could stay home, but I don't think they'd last a day in our shoes. It is not by choice we stay in, or have to park at the handicap space, spends thousands of dollars for medical treatment, forgo activities we once loved, subject ourselves to multiple invasive procedures, etc, etc, and the list goes on and on..

I agree it is vital to our sanity to have a bit of sense of humor. Find at least one thing to laugh about. If you can't, try Family Guy or Robot Chicken :D It works for me. Just don't laugh so hard you spit out a pedicle screw or something. :))(

By the way, congratulations on quitting smoking <:P I know it's super hard to, but it will do you a ton of good. I quit 5 years ago and never looked back. Now, the smell makes me sick to my stomach. I've come a long way baby. If I was able to quit, I know you will. I had it really bad, and I'm glad my husband gave me grief about it so I'd tire of sneaking cigarettes.

Well, I hope the pain lets up so you can enjoy doing something and not think about it. Remember we here for you, good day or bad, and you never have to face this alone. Take care my friend..
  • hi buddy, how ya doing now, pull ya socks up or ill come over there and smack you ! :*
  • now i could really upset you and say that you sound like my mother!!! but i wont ..oops i just did!! i am grateful to any suggestion .but when i asked the question i was asking in general .{for all that know me you know i have been having a rough time lately but i am on the up from it }.and i thank you all for your help .i wanted to know ...and still do ..how much can a human take from a constant pain /drugs/lack of sleep etc before the body say no more!
    i went to my dads old pub today to retrieve some old technics hifi and Bose speakers that i sold him in the 80s {dad died 3 years ago} but his wife still runs the pub and said if i wanted my old hifi back ..come and get it .because they dont use it...so like a man on a mission i have been reclaiming my stuff .after i have cleaned of years of nicotine and checked i all electronically .i will be installing it in my home .with the aid of my wife ..the hifi equipment is the kind of stuff that you just carnt buy these days .it cost me over 2000 pounds in the 80s!! and its equivalent to day would cost somewhere in the region of 5k !! so you can see why i wanted it back.sorry to go on but i am a bit hyper at the moment lack of nicotine .#
  • pmsl anything that keeps ya mind off of pain ! hay maybe that is it,replace pain with nic withdrawle! @) ya rite! :))( ...........oh joy very load head banging music! :''( ..........sorry about ya dad hun :*
  • I am learning to break down my task in small pieces while taking a break, until the mission is done. That is the only way I get any thing done with out hurting a whole lot latter. Hang in there brother. wishing you well. Dan
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    You sound like you're about to get over that rough spot! Hope you do well with quitting smoking. I'm still guilty of that myself. Take care and feel good.
This discussion has been closed.