Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Chronic Pain
:''( all i can manage to say is this is the worst flare up i have had to date, i dont know where to put myself or wot to do . im scared to death this is going to get worse and i wont be able to go to work :S

• Sorry to hear you're having a flare up. Try hot showers or baths,ice/heat. What does your MRI show? Can you put your history in your signature so we can better answer. Again, sorry you're having so much pain. Are you seeing a Pain Management Dr? See you around the posts. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • mri not till next friday . i dont no all the tecno talk to do a history! :/ i will go and try though
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Jan

I am really sorry to hear you have this flare-up, I know what you are going through, that is what made me seek out help and find this site.

I found trying to move around gently even though the pain was bad did help after a while. Using ice while trying to sit as comfortable as I was going to be, eased it too. I slept on the couch propped up with pillows.

You can't fight it, relaxing is the best way until the inflammation goes. I hope it eases soon as I know how you want to go to your job.

Liz xx hugs

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • thanks lizz hun, im near to tears at the mo trying not to cry infront of hubby, he loves me to bits but dosent understand ..............
  • Try to relax the best you can and rest. I'm praying for you
  • Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. Please call your doctor or go to the hospital if it gets too much to deal with- you shouldn't handle this alone. I hope your pain subsides, take care sweetie >:D<
  • thanks hun, ya know i never gave hozzy a thought! i will see how i am by morning xxx :*
  • did you get a TENS? you should it will help but without the correct drugs you will still be in pain .ice is good and rest .i hope that you can get sorted out soon as i have just recovered from a bastxxxd of a flare up myself
  • yes i have a tens hun thank you , i really wouldnt know quite no where to put it right now though,if you know wot i mean . pain seems to be coming from every where ! i like the sound of ice but i hate to be cold ! and again where would i put it ! LOL jan xx
  • So sorry you are having such a bad time with your pain. I wish i could help in some way but each of us has to deal with our pain in our own way. I suffer quietly and alone but some days I want to scream and throw things like a child.
    Actually I may live alone but I am not alone....I have this forum to turn to. Everyone here is wonderful and I have been given some very good advice and support.
    Sending a very gentle hug your way >:D<
    Patsy W
  • as for ice put it directly on the worst part of your pain .{i am guessing your lower back?}to use a TENS put either side of the worst bit of your pain .i have mine just below the kidney area .and i have the tens on the throb ....throb....throb mode .the tap..tap..tap mode is good for use down your leg .the best TENS in my opinion is the acticare because you can put it directly on your spine and use it as an external spinal cord stimulator see www.acticare.com for more info
    i have been using tens /acticare for years now and i know nearly all the beat places on me to use it .you will find with trial and error where you best trigger point are .the good thing is you cant do yourself any harm .just one point NEVER use tens across the chest or temples may cause health problems all be it temporary
  • Sorry to hear about your pain. What others are telling you about relaxing is great advice. Try not to stress out or worry about whether you can work, or anything else, for that matter, because this will tense up your muscles and make the pain worse. I use a muscle relaxant (Soma) in combination with my pain pills, and it gives me much better pain relief than simply taking opioids.

I usually don't like the coldness of ice on my back, either, so I use a moist heating pad, a special type that generates moist heat without the need for using any water. You can buy a moist heating pad at most pharmacies. They range in price from less than $20 at pharmacies to almost $100 at medical supply stores, depending on the brand. In lieu of a moist heating pad, you could probably heat a moist towel in the microwave and use it, but it won't hold the heat for long and you must be careful not to burn yourself. A plain heating pad does not work as well as moist heat.

A flare up may mean you've got irritated or inflamed nerves, and this can sometimes be helped by taking over-the-counter NSAIDS, such as ibuprofen, if these can be combined with your other meds. Irritated nerves in your lower back can cause pain that radiates to other parts of your body, especially your hips and legs, but also your upper back. Even so, you should put the ice or heating pad on the part of your back that's "normally" hurting, because the nerves in that area may well be the source of the pain in other parts of your body.

DDD, spinal stenosis, spinal cord and nerve compression, bulging and herniated discs, bone spurs, etc. Fusion of C4-C5-C6 in December 2006, and fusion of L3-L4-L5 on March 12, 2009. Yep, I'm practically spineless. And I'm having to wear an uncomfortable, rigid back brace when I'm out of bed, because of my recent surgery. I refer to it as my exoskeleton.
  • for all you good advice and kindness :* moist pads?? never heard of them?? can i get them in the uk?? at teh mo the real bad pain is in my upper legs and knees ,i just dont know where to put them ! its not as bad as yeasterday though so i guess the fact that hubby and i went out on friday to dog racing where i was sat for about 5 hours didnt do me any favors at all :S ,we dont go out often :( no still not engouraged to do the ice thing! can you get heat pads to wrap around ya legs! :))( have used them on my back often but last time i blisterd /:)
  • I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for the pain you've been going through the last couple of days. It can be so hard with the changing weather, doing more than you should (even if it's a simple thing), or just a plain old bad day. We know how you feel and I really hope you feel better soon.

Wouldn't it be great if we could just flip a switch and feel better? My pain has been a little worse too, but I think trying to get over losing my little buddy is taking it's toll.

Take care of yourself and I hope things are getting better.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Jan

Glad you are feeling a bit better
    There are wheat bags you can buy, which heat up in the microwave and can be effective, I used them on my knees and on my neck in the past. They come in all shapes and sizes and some able to wrap around as you asked. They should be easy to find in your local shops or otherwise online

Tc liz x

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • do yourself a favor and order an acticare .the good bit is you can try it for 30 days and if you dont think that you are getting any benefit from it they will refund all your money .dont confuse acticare with 14.99 TENS or even 49.99 tens the acticare is a hospital grade piece of equipment i could not be without mine .they do cost 160 pound but it will last you and it come with 4 batteries and desk charger and 4 electrodes and a lead and a Cary Case .well worth it if you live in the uk .because they wont do the 30 day trial outside the uk .so you have nothing to loose .
  • yes where is that switch ! :) im sorry , have you lost your pet dog resently how awfull for you cath, nothing can replace the huge place in our hearts for them can it :* i have two soppy dogs, ben and sam and although they drive me batty i love them both to bits ,sending you big slobery kisses from them :*

thanks liz,and for p/message :)
  • keep reading your name as stalker !! :))(

they sound brill , but 160 quid??? sigh i dont think i can get that amount of money right now, hubbys car in for service and mot tomorrow and you know how that can add up! @) i will look into it though,could be somthing for next month ;)
  • Was thinking of you this morning so I turned on my "pooter" to see how things are going. Happy to hear you are a bit better. I think of everyone here although I have never actually met anyone. I know we are all in the same boat.
    It's raining this morning and my pain is very bad. May have to use my crutches. I have to walk on my pain so getting around is hard at times. I go for my trial SCS implant this Thursday. (spinal cord stimulator) I am keeping my fingers crossed this works for me.
    Hope you continue to improve.
    Hugssssssss >:D<
    Patsy W
  • now see im no where near your levle and here i am moaning and groaning ! ~X( , nice of you to be thinking of me though! :* ill be down docs tomorow ,sort my meds out yet again , gentle hugs and much rubbing of legs jan xx
  • well i did feel better this morning but thought i would still go doc's as pain was still there ready to grab me , i started the car and the vibration riped through my legs :O by the time i got there i was nearly in tears, so he has uped the gababentin to 300mg 6 a day (i can go to 8) and also given me amertriptalin to relax me ? he said im to have a couple of days off work see how it go's if not he would sign me off propper :S roll on next monday for the scan :(
  • Thank you for the big slobbery kisses, I miss them - but don't want to steal your thread here.

Sorry the car vibration was difficult this morning, but it sounds like your doc is trying to work with you to get you the right blend of meds. There's a lot to be said for that as I'm sure you know from reading these forums.

Take care and here's to a better day.
  • That is good news Jan. I do hope the stronger meds help you. These flair ups are hard to take and at the time we feel like we just can't take anymore. Happy you went on to the Doctor. You sure do not need another flair up and perhaps the stronger meds will help.
    Good luck. Hope everyday finds you better.
    Hugssssssssss >:D<
    Patsy W
  • right back at ya un :*

feeling a bit spaced out right now @) , but i guess thats the relaxing effect of the amertriptalin /:) ,,,,,,, still got the pain hopefully tomorow will be better have had to take today and tomorrow off work,cant drive :S
  • modrate pain today more in my back than legs so at least my legs are having a brake ;) , uping my meds dosent seem to have done anything at all :( , but i know the doc is thinking of me being abl to work so is reluctent to give me anything stronger till i have the mri next week . i have decided to take the whole week off ,my back is hurting and i dont think do my job home care for the elderly will help matters,im hobbling around as it is, i think at this rate im gona be on long term sick :S ,im scared to death we wont manage and lose our home :< ,i know hubby is worried as well but what can i do ,if i carry on working i may do evan more damage and end up so much worse :S
  • I didn't know you are from the UK- cool B) I love British accents. It's good to hear you're getting your MRI next week, know how long it takes with the NHS. Finally they will get to see what's really going on so that you get the right treatment. I never could stand Gabapentin, it makes me feel disconnected and in lala land. Cymbalta works better on me. Anyway, take it easy and please let us know how the MRI goes :H
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    I've watched a number of your posts and I have been so happy the way you support other members here.
    But I would like to know exactly what is going on with you and what are your expectations (from the medical field)
    Almost everyone here is in pain, so lets forget about that.
    Is there something that you believe should be done or not done to help you along?
    I always want to know more about a person, reading posts here and there dont tell me enough... I will always respect your privacy,so if you do not want to say anything, I honor that, but if you want to talk, we are all ears here.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Honestly, I empathize with you so much. I am getting ready for a possible fusion (one I cannot already afford), but there is a huge chance that it may not relieve my pain. Have you tried acupuncture? It is the only thing that helps me other than meds-though I cannot afford it, so I'm sorta effed-but if you haven't tried it, it is DEFINITELY worth a try! Might not be complete relief but I guarantee that there will be an (even slight) increase in energy, circulation, movement, and most importantly hope for your pain. Just do your research..find one that is an MD with good ratings!
  • hello mey thanks for posting , i will tell all when i know all! ;) lala land ??? i havent had any side effects from them so far,its the amertrip doc gave me on monday thats make me talk utter rubish right now ! 8} i quite fancy being in lala land right now ! :))(

Ron, thanks for the post im not sure i understand your question though @) .......i have no expectations at all as ive never been down this road before, i just feel scared of what may happen :S i dont know any of the tecno words on here or any of the procidres you have all been through,but im learning ! :) other than that im as mad as a hatter and love to make people laf :)
This discussion has been closed.