Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finger Numb and Aching after 2 1/2 years

sheilapssheilap Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi All! It's been a very long time since I have posted on here and the site has changed a lot! Anyhoo, I had ACDF surgery C5-C7, donor bone graft, and have a lovely titanium plate souvenir November of '07. I have been doing absolutely wonderful since then. I have virtually been pain free. My only complaint is that my right pointer finger tip is still numb and aches. Sometimes the numbness and the achiness will work its way down to the middle knuckle. Sometimes it hurts (little zings) into my nail bed. Now it feels like it's sort of affecting my forearm a little bit. It's more annoying than anything. I know that nerve damage takes a long time to get better and that it may not get better at all. Here's my question. Is there anything that can be done for this? I think after 2 1/2 years I have waited long enough for this to improve. I am totally glad for the surgery I had and don't regret it for a minute. I am wondering what other people may have learned about residual finger pain/nerve damage and if they have done anything. I really have nothing to complain about in comparison. The numbness doesn't bother me as much as the achiness. Thanks for any suggestions! Sheila

advertisement

Comments

• Hi sheilap,

That is awesome news that you have done so well post surgery. I guess the only thing i can suggest at this point and time is to have a emg and see if that is just chronic radiculopathy at this point. I do have chronic radiculopathy and have been told there isn't much that can be done except minimize the pain. You may try tracking to see what you are doing at the time it gets worse. That may give you some answers to maybe changing postures or positioning sooner may alleviate some of the discomfort. Good to hear you have done so well and keep up the good work.
  • never wrote on here but any imput would help.....been dealing with this for 4yrs..has gotten worse and for the past 5mo... shooting pains down left arm from neck severe headaches and every once in awhile shooting in head and ears..diagonosed spinal stenoisis /DDD..been having ultra sound done on arm..no improvement..some pain meds..low neurontin for nerve pain..keep active alot..try to keep up thro life, and smile :))( ...but darn it.. :S have done alot of research on this and dont really want surgery ..at least open neck surgery..anybody know anything about laser spine surgery?..i sent my M.R.I to L.S.I in tampa,fl..they say i am a candidate..the cost is high..but alot less infasive than the other..i just read up on horror stories that with the other surgery people still have pain and later have to have another one...i want to be fixed...its late here right now, so im going to bed..will check back on monday aft.. to see if anyone can make some suggestions...thanks for listening ..god bless you all...luv trish O:) I)
  • Have you had another MRI? Also a heating pad can help the pain also in your finger. PT may help or whirlpool baths at the PT for just your hand. Take care.Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Start a new thread in the left hand column creat content and you may get more replies. I haven't had laser surgery but it sounds tempting. It's way out of my budget. It's about $26,000. or so? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am a year post op c5-c7 and I encounter the same problems except mine is in the thumb and back of my hand. I went in for another mri a month ago and the surgeon could not find anything wrong. I lift weights so he said I will have flare ups from time to time. Mine usually last a few days then they go away.
  • I find that some of my symptoms will re-occur if I do something to my neck or shoulder muscles. I think that the nerves are exceptionally sensitive. Since they run with your muscles, if you do something to stress the muscle you may be putting pressure on those nerves again.

Sheila, is this constant or does it flare up? Can you identify it to correlate with something you're doing? I find sitting at a desk the worst thing for my neck, shoulder and back muscles. Our posture is at its worst when we're sitting.

I agree with tamtam...you should probably have an emg done to help you understand it a bit better.

Take care!

advertisement