Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post op pain from Spinal stimulator

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just had a spinal cord stimulator implanted 4 days ago and the pain is miserable. I knew it would be painful, I just had no idea it would be this bad. My surgeon said that since I had already become used to my pain medication it was like having surgery with no pain relief. I was wondering if anyone else has had this surgery and how long the pain was really bad and what I could do to help take the edge off. I have tried ice and I have pain meds but they don't seem to even take the edge off the pain at the moment and I am going crazy. Thanks

• I have been able to manage the post op pain with Tylenol and Celebrex and an ice pack. Did you have percutaneous leads or paddle leads implanted. Paddle leads require a partial laminectomy which is a bit more painful but the pain usually subsides in a few days as the swelling goes down.

Also, make sure that you don't have your SCS set too high. It is very common for new SCS users to set the stimulation too high causing muscle spasms and pain.

And of course when in doubt, contact your rep and your doc for assistance.

Good luck and Welcome to Spine Health.

• I had percutaneous leads...but I was on 30mg of oxy three times a day before surgery...so after surgery I have the same meds and it is like surgery with nothing for the pain because I have been on the pain meds for so long already my body is used to them.