Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

mri vs ct with contrast

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Has anyone had better images taken of spinal stenosis or osteophytes done with ct with dye vs mri. I just recently had a ct arteriogram of my neck to check the vertebral arteries, that seems to show the spine and disc in some of the pictures as well. To me it looks like the disc has some broken fragments or something unusual. The report was only commenting on the vertebral arteries so there was no mention of any other areas investigated. When I asked the neurologist about it he said that they were only looking at the arteries and he never looked at the film of it, he just read the report. I am not sure if I am looking at the correct things but it sure looks like the same anatomy you see in mri's.

• I am surprised that your neurologist didn't see the actual images but based on the radiologist report. Some of the time, they have different opinions.

CT is like an 360 x-ray, it is good tool for looking at osteophytes, or any bone deformation or bone overgrowth. MRI shows more of muscles, tissues, disc etc. Do you have a copy of the disc and report? Get another opinion, or the next time you see your neurologist, ask him to point out to you your problem.

• Thanks for your response. I will not be going back to this neurologist that is for sure. I actually have an appt coming up in 10 days with a ns who specializes in the cervical spine. I only saw this neurologist as a follow up from being in the hospital last week for these weird drop like attacks. It seemed like when I increase my activity level or move my neck and arms alot I was getting these really scary episodes that were like severe panic attacks and almost passing out with weakness and numbness in all arms and iegs.They did all kinds of brain films and another c -spine mri with no terrible findings. I had my pcp do this ct arteriogram of my neck to make sure a bone spur was not pressing on the vertebral artery, but the arery findings were normal and that is when I noticed the unusual looking fragmented disc, I think. I wish I knew some one who could give me more info on the details in these pics. I also noticed that after my last esi I had a lot of neuro issues as if i had a stroke for about two weeks. They did inject depomedrol this time instead of the usual steroid because the pm doc said it would last longer. However I found out later that it has really dangerous side effects and is mostly used in the lumbar spine not cervical. That drug is actually neurotoxic and I believe it is not even fda approved for esi but these docs use it "off label".

When I was in the hospital I actually thought that it was from that injection which was done at the end of Feb. I still have some residual neuro effects and I am trying to figure out what the heck is going on.My neck pain and shoulder pain have not really changed except now I am having numbness and tingling all over the place and not just in my finger like before. I am also looking into lyme disease as my dog had recently been diagnosed.