Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here - have questions

lizzyboollizzyboo Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone, my name is Tammy and I am 34 years old. I have had back pain for more than 1/2 my life. I had a compression fracture at L3-4 when I was 13. I had intermittent low back for years, and then finally in around 2000 or so it began traveling down my legs. I treated with a pain clinic for several years receiving injections, facet blocks, etc., but nothing kept the pain away. I got pregnant in 2006 and had a baby, my back condition worsened to the point where my leg pain was probably worse than my back pain I had an MRI in December of 2007 which showed degenerative disc disease, at L3-4 and L4-5 some spondylosis and steonis (l4-5)as well as a disc bulging that was compressing some nerves which was to the right (l4-5), even though I would probably say that my left side pain was a bit worse. Anyways to try to make a long story short, I had a bilateral lumbar laminectomy at L4-5. I did not improve and in fact have worsened. I had another MRI done in September of 2008 and my surgeon referred me back to the pain clinic. I am currently taking norco, neurontin, valium, zanaflex and now cymbalta, and this does not relieve my pain, only for about an hour or so. To my surprise, while at the pain clinic I discovered that my surgeon, apparently performed surgery at L3-4 and not L4-5. I had a neurosurgical consult and he felt that conservative treatment was the way to go, after he had that panicked look in his face, when he found out surgery was done at the wrong level. I had a trial spinal cord stimulator for one week, which did actually help with my leg pain, not my back pain. A few weeks ago i was setting my 2 year old down, and hurt my back. Now I have a protruding disc compressing the thecal sac at L3-4. I am waiting for an appointment for a surgical consult. I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about this kind of thing, and what happens if you have two levels screwed up? I am worried about fusion, seeing as i had a bilateral laminectomy performed already. I am also waiting on my surgery date for the full spinal cord stimulator implant, but of course, now i am panicked about going forward with that, if i can apparently injure myself so easily, and of course i am worried about that little black cloud following me around with have a surgical error out there. Any advice would be most appreciated. I am just so very tired, of being in constant pain, and not being able to do the things I want to do.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and asnwer what questions we can. i am sorry you have been through so much pain for so long!! ~X( we have several people who have had surgery for a thecal sac. i hope they stop by.. i hope the forum can give you some relief by being around like minded people!! :D we all hurt!! stop by anytime! =D> good luck! Jenny :)
  • That's rough you're having problems what happened in the Operative report try to get that report and ask the surgeon what happened. You may have some recourse .Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN