Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Minimally Invasive surgeries Results??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello All:
Can anyone post about their results from a procedure done through the endoscopic approach & methods being promoted by the various surgeons in Florida?
I am considering this method for my Lumbar back pain. I have be diagnosed with Foraminal narrowing and I am considering a Laminotomy as well as a Facet Thermal Ablation at my facet joints L5-S1.

Any results and comments would be appreciated.

• Hi Kay, I had NAV MIS TLIF to correct a spondylolsis and spondylolisthesis. It has been successful for me. The surgery took 5 hours, and I was home on the 3rd day. My incisions were 2 inches in length on left and right side each, and recovered pretty well. The pain was in the fusion itself. Since you are not having fusion, I can't tell you pain wise how it goes. But many people had lami, with 2 sides of stories to tell. But immediately after the surgery, the leg pain was instantly relieved.

I rerad this article about multifidus muscles being the strongest stablizer for the body and it can be preserved in MIS.

This site gives quite a bit of information on MIS:

Hope this help.
  • My endoscopic experience was not in Florida, but in Beverly Hills, CA.
    The technique used on me is the least invasive.
    The scopes and instruments are very small and flexible.
    I am very happy with the results.
    Everyone's individual experience is different and unique.
    I had no foraminal narrowing, only herniated/bulged discs.
    (still do, but am pain-free for the most part)
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Thanks for passing on these links. They were helpful and make me feel much more comfortable with the MIS approach.
  • I have read that 2 year outcomes between minimally invasive surgeries and traditional open, midline techniques, are the same for fusions. Minimally invasive might cut less muscle, but on the flip side, if they find more than the expected to do, having those retractors in place for too long can cause the tissue/muscle to get less oxygen.

In my personal opinion, if you are just having something little done, minimally invasive might be OK. I had minimally invasive fusion(lots of complications) and wish I had had a traditional midline incision. In women, because of our pelvis/hipbones, it can be harder to insert the correct size of cage in a TLIF because of the approach angle.

I realize this is not the procedure you are having done, but you asked for results and comments.
  • Thanks for your comments. Yes my situation is different, so I am interested in hearing any others experience with the non-open back procedures for my condition.
    I am seeing a local MD in my home town who does Minimally invasive procedure for his opinion. I am concerned about traveling to Florida for surgery. Has anyone else traveled to Florida for surgery? Thanks again for the comments.