Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doc gave me a trigger shot

Cindyx3CCindyx3 Posts: 144
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well I went to the doctor who is a non surgical doc and he gave me a trigger shot. The first day was great, but the pain came back on the second day. I also had swelling where the shot was, he did say to ice it when it swelled.

Has anyone had positive results from these shots?

• Hi Cindy,

My experience with trigger points have been rather good. While you maybe sore for the first day or two following the trigger point usually several days out you will feel better from them. In my experience the relief doesn't last very long but it is well worth it to break a pain cycle. Did they have you go to a physical therapist to have the medicine massaged in as well? The message part is very good to break down the knots and work the meds all the way into the muscle. I like to get trigger points every few months to help with myofascial pain. I typically get a set of 4 at a time. Hopefully you will get some relief in a few days from this.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    Over the years, I have had scores of Trigger Point injections.
    Most recently about 7 in the cervical area.
    Those injections provided me with enough 'relief' from a flare up, that I was able to get back to normal.
    I do know for each injection, the doctors had me icing the area for at least 15 minutes before they let me go and then continue icing on/off for the first 24 hours.
    As tamtam pointed out, many times these injections are enough to break a pain cycle. They may not be the end all, but they do help
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • It did seem to help the next day but the day after I was in a lot of pain. I don't know. I also had epidural shots that did very little. I guess time will tell. I have to go for a EMG and a MRI. I just would like to avoid surgery but I think it's inevitable. :( I had two other minor surgeries this year but this one scares me to death.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    tell you that it is and is routine. Anytime a surgeon works on a disc and spinal nerves it is no simple.
    However, if you look at this site and read about members who have had lumbar and/or cervical surgery, more people have better luck with cervical surgeries.
    I've had 4 lumbar surgeries over the years and still am bothered from time to time with lower back problems.
    I have had 2 ACDF's and unless I do something stupid I am ok.
    For me the worst part is not having the range of motion up/down or left/right as I would like to.
    I tell anyone here who is faced with spinal surgery. Research and become the expert on your condition and the treatments that are available. Surgery is not always the answer.
    Take a look at
    Cervical Surgery
    and this video

And there is so much more at this site to read and research
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I`ve had 8 weeks of 8 trigger point injections and feel it may have helped a little but who wants to get so may injections every week that was really painful. Anyway the trigger point injections elongate the muxcle that has spasms or knots from referred pain from the herniated discs which cause so much problems allowing for inflammation all around the discs causing muscle contractions. So the trigger point inj stop the spasms. after 8 weeks with that PM Dr who also gave epidurals with little effect I went to a 2nd opinion Pain Management Dr. who`s given me 3 epidurals and facet joint injections which have helped the arthritis abit around the affected disc. I would try anything to see what lessens the pain and have tried accupucture,massage and PT. It`s really a hit and miss with some to see if most of these therapies work for some and not for others. I guess the EMG and MRI would show if surgery was necessary. I think that it`s good to get a second opinion for any treatment though. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN