Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Musician - how long after ALIF before playing again?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had ALIF of L4/5 on April 1st. I'm having the normal digestive problems & skin sensitivity to brace. I play the oboe and everyone is asking me when I can come back to the symphony and quintet. Is anyone familiar with the breath support necessary to play the oboe? The way my gut feels - I don't feel like I'll ever play again. My college professor actually taught his students "Bear down like you're so constipated you can't stand it ... and then you'll almost have enough breath support to play the oboe." I'm afraid I'll bust my stitches - or get a hernia if I even pick up the oboe again. Does your abdomen ever stop hurting?

• It will get better with time, but don't rush it. It took a little over three months for my abdominal muscles to feel halfway right again after surgery. Talk with a PT about abdominal muscle specific exercises to help you along.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I appreciate the pep talk. I'm just getting discouraged. My skin is so sore from the adhesive/bandage ... that I can barely stand to wear my brace. I just keep hoping it will get better soon. Three months huh? Oh well - I'm just 3 weeks out. I'd better try to find another way to cover the incision ... me & this tape are just not getting along!