Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

This Right Leg Pain When I walk is Ruining The Life I Had

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
X( Can anyone tell me anything about Sciatica? Or how to make it go away. I am an active 50 year old , in good shape, and noticed there was something wrong when I could no longer mow my yard.(2007) I was having to take rests in between the rows of grass because my right leg would get so tired and then my back would start to hurt a little. I slowly started to loose my bowel and bladder control. And soon ended up quitting my job as I could no longer make it to the front door from my car, I was now having to talk to my leg to make it work. I thought I just needed a bone cracker doc. so I went to him and then to my Gal doctor about the loss of bladder/bowel control, she sent me to a nerve Doc. He ordered a Bone Scan/MRI/Cat Scan/Spinal Tap. Found out through the Spinal Tap I had my L5 chipped and he explained to me it was the bone fragments that were causing my pain. So I had to wait 4 months to get the surgery. OH MY God, soon as I opened my eyes from being under The first words out of my mouth were,"What did you do to my leg?" The front part of my right leg felt like I had been kicked by a mule. The nurse informed me that they had given me a shot there. "Why?", was all I could say. That was not my back. I went home to look to see if there was a needle hole and there was not, so I thought maybe they had dropped me in the operating room and waited for a bruise to appear , no bruise... I informed the Doc. and he insisted it was nothing , but I was in so much pain and decided to take matters in my own hands and messaged it with heat and ice. After about a month of hard message the pain went away ,but the right butt cheek started to really Hurt. As time went on I had the pain in my leg running down the back and around to the front calf and to my toes. I had no other option but to give in and move in with relatives to figure out what the Heck was happening.I went to physical Therapy and the DEEP MESSAGE did feel good. It hurt like Heck and I was sweating bullets but in about 4 sessions the pain in my butt cheek was bearable. As before I couldnt lift my leg to step into the shower or sit down to pee. The pain was easing out of my buttocks but still radiating down the back of my knee and calf 24 hours a day so I went to another Doc. and he put me on Steroids, no help with that. Then we found the magic drug, for me anyways, Lyrica. My pain was gone in about 3 days. Now however I am back to Step ONE. My right leg is weak and I can't walk into the store from the car without taking a break. What the heck? I was reading an article that was in my Junk mail about Sciatica exercises, does anyone know . And do I even have it? As my right leg is still weak after walking short walks. This is totally ruining my life as I once knew it. And taking every cent I have and then some ~X(

• I am sorry that you are going through this. I had sciatica pain in my right leg so I can empathize the amount of pain that you have. While I don't have a chipped L5, I had a bulging disc at L5 S1.

I had four steroid injections and they were all at the L5 S1 site. I am clueless why the doc gave you the shot in your leg.

I am guessing that the bone fragment is touching the sciatic nerve. Have you asked what happens to a bone fragment? Can you just leave it there?

Good luck!
  • Hi I too had the pain down both legs going from hips down to my knees then all the way down both legs and into my feet. I had had previous surgery 10 years ago on my back. Laminectomy, disectomy and over the years plenty of injections, chryorysotomy, epidurals etc. Then I was told I had a ruptured disc and that my spine was slipping when I walked and that's when I was told I needed a fusion op. I aslo had a nerve pressing on my spine.I was not in a private health fund so was told come back with $48,000 and I will operate or get into private cover. I did this at great expense but still had to wait 12 months as it was a pre-existing illness. The pain became unbearable and I stopped going out. When I did I was in extreme pain. I was lucky that finally the surgeon at our public hospital in Perth agreed to operate on me but as I have mentioned I still have tightness in my feet.
    The sciatic pain has gone. I hope it never comes back.
    I too would be asking the doctor what happens to the bone fragments you mention. Good luck for the future. Lorraine