Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I found out I have to have surgery!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I've been going through different doctors mris, xrays, pain management, and physical therapy since I was 10. I finally found a doctor that has had me on the right path and I finally talked to a neurosurgeon and he wants to do surgery... like yesterday! So I find all the details out tomorrow. I just wanted to see if anyone else here had surgery in their lower back for spondylolisthesis and broken vertebrae? How old were you when you got it? Was it worth it? Did it help? I'm only 22 years old and they said more than likely the next vertebrae up will start slipping as well. I'm worried about that but I really want to get this fixed. He said if it gets any worse there won't be anything they can do so it's either now or never.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Was it worth it?
    That really depends on what is causing the spinal problem.
    When there are nerves involved, its almost a certainty that surgery will be in order.
    Other situations, it depends on the severity. Having youth on your side is your biggest ally. While sometimes you read that doctors tend not to operate because they say the patient is too young.
    Sorry, chronic pain and spinal problems do not discriminate.
    Problems can happen at any age.
    Do as much research as possible. The Spine-Health site has volumes of articles and videos that describe in details the conditions and the treatments.
    You want to position yourself so that you are basically the expert when it comes to your condition and what surgical options are available.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Many young athletes, particularly divers and gymnasts end up with spondylolisthesis. This is because they spend so much of their young lives doing back bends and other positions where their back is in an extended position.

Sometimes they can avoid surgery, and other times it is necessary to have a fusion.

This is a condition that also can develop as one ages....It is called degenerative spondylolisthesis and occurs from wear and tear and the aging process. This is often treated with surgery, too.

Be sure to read up on spondy before you go to the surgeon tomorrow so you can ask questions and understand what he is proposing to do for you.
  • I did both gymnastics and diving. I did gymnastics for 14 years though. I was always beyond flexable but they just thought I was "double jointed" and I would literally sit on my head. At 12 I was diagnosed with hyper mobile joint syndrome. I was born with it... they just didn't know what it was then. My surgeon said the only ways to help the spondy is what I've already been doing (which hasn't really been helping) or the surgery. So he said he wants to do the one that goes through my stomach and only a couple holes in my back. He said it's only a 1 in 10 chance that it's going to help though... so that worries me... but I don't want to wonder what if for the rest of my life.
  • Oh also... he said that the vertebrae is broken where it holds itself to the other vertebrae which apparently caused it to slip in the first place but with that and my joint disorder I'm already in almost level 3 slippage. All of my doctors tell me I have the body of a 75 year old. I already have degeneration in some of my joints.