Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF 1 Week Ago

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I made it through the C4-5 C5-6 ACDF surgery last Monday. The worst part about the hospital is that time slows to a crawl when you wake-up every 15 minutes. They gave me a Demerol drip button that helped. I was discharged around 11 the next day after I proved I could swallow a pill. The lump in my throat felt huge!

The first four days I spent taking Darvon and Flexeril and sleeping (though that can be a challenge with this soft collar!) By Sunday, I had kicked the Darvon and am now just taking plain Tylenol. I really hate pain pills because I always get nauseas and depressed. I tried to take a ride to the drugstore on Sunday, and I only made it around the block. I should have said no way before we even left the driveway! Every bump and acceleration just caused too much pain.

So, here we are at 1 week later and my throat is still slightly sore and the lump is nearly gone! The scar is still covered by tape, so I haven't peeked yet. I thought the constant pulsating pain running from my right shoulder into my arm and fingers was gone, but this afternoon it has returned. Logically since they "unpinched" my nerve it shouldn't hurt anymore, right?! Maybe, I haven't been moving around enough today or maybe yesterday I overdid it. Hard to say.

My first post-op appointment is next Wednesday, and I really need to get back to work on May 4th, but the computer is the obstacle. I hope I made the right decision to get this done, but it seemed like the only choice since it wasn't going to get any better.

I want to thank everyone for their stories and support for each other on this board, it has been helpful.

I still need to quit smoking, but that is another hurdle.

• I hope you continue to recover well. I tried wellbutrin(zyban) before and it helped me quit. Believe it or not I just lost the desire. Also chantrix is supposed to help quit smoking also. If you smoke your Dr usually gives you a bone growth stimulater. Did you get that. Anyways, I wish you all the best for your recovery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I hope you're feeling better! They say the recovery takes time so be easy on yourself.

• I'm feeling pretty good. I just woke up without any pain so that is a step in the right direction!

I've just been taking it slow and will be going back to work in four days, so we will see how that goes.

Wish I could drive though!