Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
hi my name is Rich

i can sympathise with everyone here im suffering a re occurance on the L5 S1 and have a herniated disk again ....
same one i had a laminectomy (i think thats what it was called 13 years ago)and was perfect for 10 years , and then had a reoccurnace 3 years ago and it sorted itself out with pain killers and rest and was fine, about 7 weeks ago i had that dreaded sciatic pain in my leg and then a week later had to be admitted to A&E dept because the pain got that bad got a couple of shots of morphin and anti imflamitry drugs and it started to get better and was back at work, then two weeks ago it struck again same thing Ambulance ride to A&E and then discharged and sent home now i have unfortunatly lost my job as my company said they dont know when i could be off again ...
As the disk is herniated does it mean i do need surgery again or do people reckon to leave it and rely on the drugs! It is getting better probable 80 % better, i have trouble walking sometimes, kind of grind to a halt somedays bit of rest and it feels better so im wondering what to do just want an opinion its feels so frustrating at the moment

• What kind of doc are you seeing for this? What sort of recommendation is the doc giving you? If you ask most people here, they will tell you to hold off on surgery if your symptoms can be resolved with rest and a few meds. However you are the only one who knows how much this is effecting your quality of life. Also is there any nerve damage or risk of nerve damage?

Sorry to give you more questions than answers, but this is a decision that needs to be taken very seriously.

Welcome to Spine Health.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    Richie, like "C" asked what doctor are you currently seeing?
    And I assume you have a new MRI to identify the herniated disc. What is your doctor's recommendation??
    That is key, that is going to be the person to provide you with the medical details about your situation and if surgery is needed or not.
    I would ask several questions to your doctor. Talk about the pros and cons of having surgery or not having surgery.
    What are the chances for your current situation to heal without surgery? What kind of conservative treatments should be you doing?

As you can tell, I am asking a lot of questions. The more information you provide here the more details responses you can get.

It is so difficult and for me it is impossible to tell someone to have surgery or not.
    Even if I had all the details, I am not a medical professional, so at best you get advice from my own personal experiences
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • how bad is the leg pain on a day to today basis? if its unbearable .its the surgery route my friend .as for pain killers ..if its the only thing that can get you by ..then that's it ! as you know there is not an absolute cure for back pain ..just dont ignore it and make sure that you have exhausted all opportunities before surgery .because post surgery {even if you have a good out come} your back will be weak .so you will more than likely require pain killers for a long time .{ten years is about the right amount of time for a laminectomy to last before it gives you hell again!} i talk from painful and frank experience
    good luck rick