Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Lower Back Pain
HELLO EVERYONE,my mri shows that i have a mild disc degeneration of L4 AND L5 AT L 3,4 MILD CIRCUMFERENTIAL BULGING BUT NO MAJOR IMPINGEMENT.my md says i need surgery :jawdrop: i don't want surgery i have been takeing hydrocodne 10 x4 aday as needed.i have to work.in 2007 i had to have a total right hip replacement that has helped but it wasn't easy going through that.i had been haveing the back pain prior to the hip pain.the pain in the hip became to great to bear so i had to have it.i guess that is the only way i will have the back surgery.i jut hate i need to have the pain meds to function.i feel like i may be addicted to them.i only take them as prescribed.less if i'm off from work. :< i welcome comments from you all.

• Isn't if strange that I had hip replacement prior to back surgery also...guess they go hand in hand....good luck to you if you decide to have the back surgery. I'm feeling pretty good...but am still very cautious.

• HI CYNTHIA,what a coincedense my hip is good untill i sit or stand too long.my back is effected in the same way.when i first went back to work after my hip surgry i had "WORK RESTRICTIONS"they were not happy about that.i had to go to the doctor evry six weeks or do untill they gradualy droped them off. :) i still have to exercise common since at work and try not do things that will get my hip out of place.my back pain usually starts from THE PROLONGED STANDING AND LIFTING i have to do on my job.i have talked to my supervizor and told him my situation but that only works for alittle while :< .so i just go on and do the best i can.i have been on my job for 31 YRS.
  • I am in the same boat as you are. I had some surgery but will not have more unless the pain makes me bedridden. I wouldn't worry about becoming addicted to the pain meds if you are taking them as prescribed and for pain rather than the "high" that you might get from them. Lots of us rely on pain meds to make our pain a little more tolerable. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    Surgery or NoSurgery.
    Just make sure you have all the facts and research about your condition and treatement. Understand what negatives there may be if you dont have surgery.

The decision is yours, just make sure you have all your facts lined up
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i carnt understand your doctors wanting to schlep you in to surgery if you dont have any leg pain and from what you have said only mild bony changes? i take it that you have none or very little leg pain {from your back not hip}.as a person that has been fighting chronic pain from 15 years or so.i would urge to not to have surgery if you can get by on a small amount of pain killer and your pain does interfere too much on your life IE you can sleep and get by in the day without resorting to napping in the afternoon and not being able to do stuff like grocery shopping ...surgery is a big step and often requires more surgery as the years roll by and even of you do have a good post surgical result your back will always be weak...think about it ..
This discussion has been closed.