Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can stress cause this much pain?

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Depression and Coping
OMG, I hurt so bad today - sciatica has gone into overdrive, neck aches like crazy, muscle spasms are nuts...

Yesterday I felt really good when I got up and went and had lunch with a friend, cleaned the house a bit, nothing too out of the ordinary.

Then, I had a missing-my-little-boy episode where I was crying like crazy (had to put my dog to sleep last week) and hubby thinks I'm going insane. He says I should put all his toys and bowls away, maybe that would help. Then I get a call from my brother laying a huge guilt trip on me for not flying to California for my nephew's (and godson's) wedding. Yes, he lives here but is flying to CA to get married...why? don't know. Out of work, money is tight, yada yada

So this morning I'm hurting so bad...can stress really make you hurt this bad? I feel guilty that I'm not going to be able to get anything done today...

Thanks for listening.

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

• Yes stress can make you hurt a lot. I also lost my little dog 3 days before Christmas last year and I am still hurting. She was 14 years old and it was one of the most trying times I have ever experienced. As you probably know we all have "good" days and "bad" days, I was actually having a few "good" weeks and now it feels that I am back to square one. At the moment there is a lot of stress in my life and I know that has a lot to do with it. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone and there will be more good days....I promise.

• Isn't it unbelievable how empty and quiet the house is when we lose our little furry buddies? I know it'll get better and I try to keep up a good face for the hubby, but omg it's so difficult.

I'm so sorry you lost your little friend too. Hugs to you.
  • I'm sorry about your hurts. I have to say I really think stress makes things worse.

I had a page typed but I just deleted it.
    sending you hugs...Patsy

• HURTS! No doubt about it. My guy is soon to be 11 and he is getting some real hip problems going. So, sad to watch.

We're trying to help him, but not sure how long we can keep such a big dog comfortable...

Stress makes it all worse...All of it.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    It always hurts when I read about other members that are hurting more than usual.
    Its that we have to go through so much and yet we are still tested almost daily.
    And Cathie, besides being a friend, I know how hard it has been on you this week having to put down your little boy
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you. But Dang, I wanted to read that whole page you wrote!
  • Yes, stress is a real PITA. Literally. I'm sorry to hear that you're furry friend is having some problems with his hips. It's so sad to see them hurting and nothing you can do. I'll say a prayer for your furry buddy.

Thanks for the hug. It felt good.
  • Thank you for your kind words. I guess all of us have our days or weeks (or more) when things just get so terribly difficult that you just want to crawl into a ball and go to sleep. But we keep pushing on, don't we?

You've walked in my shoes not too long ago with your Lollie so you know exactly how difficult it is.

Thanks again, my friend.
  • I deleted it on purpose, sorry that's how it always works for me. Whenever I type anything and then go back and read what I type. I will delete it because I always think it sounds stupid or something. So usually I just type away like I'm gonna do now and push send and not look back (he he).
    little off subject but I have been wanting to ask you a question.I see you had a big surgery and it took 3 months for first part to be fused. Had it started to fuse any before that? Because at my 6 week my neck had not started to do anything. They had me have another MRI done.(money money money)I was just curious because I thought for sure I would have started to fuse by 6 weeks.I go back April 5th.(hope and pray I have fused)............and has your c6-7 joined in on the party line??
    Thanks Patsy
  • Well, quit deleting your posts! You've mentioned that on several threads before and I wondered why you would delete them. Now I have my answer! :D

I don't know when I started to fuse because when I had x-rays on two occasions before Jan 21, the doc didn't say anything about fusion. He only told me that things looked good. At the 3 month mark, that's when he told me the top two levels had fused. He said C6/7 is the most difficult level to fuse because it moves every time your head moves.

I haven't been back to see my surgeon since Jan and back then he said to come back in June and he'd check to see how C6/7 was doing. He actually told me before the surgery that if C6/7 didn't fuse by Dec. 09, he'd have to go back in posteriorly and put in a cage. At this point, I'm very happy burying my head in the sand.

You said you go back in April 5, but I assume you mean May 5? That would be your 3 month mark. I'm anxious to see how your neck looks after that appt.

Thanks for typing away and not deleting this time. LOL
  • Thanks for the info..
    I hope you finish fusing and I hope I start

Yep I goofed- typed April and meant May, see I prolly would of caught that if I would of gone back and read my typing.(he he)stress does not help neither.
    These days I can not keep up with lots of things,specially thinking it is gonna be May, time just goes by so fast.

I had my surgery done about 3 hours away from home. would of been nice to find a Doc a little closer.
    At my 6 week check up they did a x-ray and then had me do another MRI. I was a bit worried,he wanted to make sure nothing had moved and to make sure nothing was behind the plate that he may of missed.He said looked fine just some bruising above plate.

Sending a hug and smile.....Patsy

• I hope the past few days have been more positive for you.

You have had a lot of stressors lately and I am so sorry to learn of your recent loss. The loss, in itself, takes time to get through.

I understand feeling guilty about not getting much done, especially when you have all intentions of doing this or that on a particular day. Our bodies will tell us "no" at the most inconvenient times and unfortunately, we are unable to push ourselves due to the pain.

Think back to the day before when you went to lunch, did some housework and felt good. There will be more of those days to look forward to. :)

Stress definitely causes my pain to increase... I tense up, grind my teeth, pull my hair out, etc. I sometimes wish I had a "delete" button on my forehead! One just geared for the really stressful days. (Maybe I'll have my daughter draw me one on a sticky note... lol.)

Best wishes for a nice weekend.

Take good care. >:D<

• I've been reading your posts and know you've been through so much. Thank you for replying - we all know the pain spikes, don't we?

I really appreciate your kind words. I've been struggling with the loss of my little buddy, but have already started to think about getting another little guy to help fill the hole in my heart. Nobody will ever replace my little Mercster, but there's something missing in my life now and I think I have the strength and love to give to a new little guy.

I'm sorry that you've been going through so much. I know you've been having pain issues and I'm really glad you found us. You're a very caring person and fit right in with the rest of the folks here.

Take care of yourself. We're always here for you and I see that you're here for others too.

Hugs to you.

• I lost my beloved cat who was 10 years old last fall. He had a heart murmur and died right before my back pain escalated. Losing a pet and dealing with agonizing pain were very challenging.

I still expect to see him or think that I did to this day. The daily routine that we had together was the one hardest things to get over and still is.

My cat wasn't a lap cat, but every morning he followed me to the bathroom while I brushed my teeth, and we would fight over the water coming out the faucet. When I tried to drink my coffee, he rubbed his head on the mug. I miss his short, chirpy vocal sounds when he wanted something. All of my neighbors knew my cat and were shocked and sad when they learned that he passed away.

Losing a pet is a big stressor and combined with dealing with pain....it can be unbearable.

Sorry for the lost of your dog...I know the feeling that no other pet can replace your dog.

I hope that you are doing well now.