Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck/Back Pain, headaches & Chiari,

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi my name is Lisa im 40 and this pain business all started in March of '09, well first let me just say ive had lower back pain for the last 21 yrs ever since my oldest son was born and they screwed up on a epidoral. But the upper back pain started in March I woke up one morning dizzy sick to my stomach with the inability to think straight speak properly (thought process was all screwed up). i have had tremors, light and sound sensativity. etc.. so, I went to the doctor who sent me to an ENT had a hearing test done as well as a VNG test proved nothing was wrong with hearing had an MRI which said i had Chiari 1 malformation seen a neurosurgeon who said yes i have that but that is not what is causing my problems another MRI to check spinal flow was good(which is why they say its not the chiari causing the problems), Sent to neurologist and another MRI to check blood flow all good. but i have this pain in neck & in my back btwn shoulders in the spine, if i raise or lower my head i can feel a burning pulling pain in the base of the neck as well as in the spine between the shoulders. Not to mention a constant headache

all the MRI's I have has show nothing is wrong except the Chiari, I have not had a spinal MRI but iam really thinking all of this pain is coming from my upper spine, Is that possible to wake up one day feeling this way?

today i still have the pain the headache and occasional dizzyness. My Neurologist told me yesterday I dont know what is wrong with you and gave me some pain meds to help with the pain...But Id sure like to know what is wrong?

Oh and all the blood work i have had done is normal also

any suggestions on what i can ask my neuro about?

• I am so sorry to hear about all that you are going through. Having to battle with those dizzy spells must be very challenging.

How are the pain meds working that your doctor prescribed? If you haven't noticed any improvement, I would give you doctor a call.

I am a big fan of keeping daily logs on my pain and progress. If you could write everything down... starting from the day you woke up feeling dizzy and sick... it will be helpful for any future doctors you may need to visit.

If you feel you are at a complete stand-still with your present Neurologist, would you consider getting a second opinion?

Hope you start to feel better and can get some answers, soon.

• I have just finished my fourth surgery for my chiari & syrinx, Iknow for a fact that the syrinx,lower back pain and tingling,loss of feeling in hands etc are definitely related.